Thread: Yamaha YEP-621 vs 642 Neo

1. Yamaha YEP-621 vs 642 Neo

Hi, just wondering about the differences between the 621 and 642 Yamaha models of Euphonium. These two were the ones I am looking at for eventually buying when I buy my own Euphonium. The 642 costs a decent amount more so I want to know what makes the difference in these two models. Thanks

The 621 is a non-compensating horn but is a good horn. Similar I think to the Yamaha 321, BUT, with the 4th valve on the side.

See Snorlax post about this model here:
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...689#post114689
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Be careful to note that on the 621, the 4th valve is inbetween the 3rd valve tubing wrap and the main tubing on the back, so ergonomics are... interesting

I had a 621, and probably should've kept it. It's not just a differently-wrapped 321. For me it had the easy feel (nimble/responsive - a great "pick up and play after having been off the euph for a while") of the 321, but with a broader dynamic range - less susceptible to over-blow (perhaps the large shank receiver?), and easier low-end (perhaps the 3+1 allows for a larger 4th-valve circuit?).
    It's lighter-weight and nimbler-playing than any 3+1 comp that I've owned/played (increasingly important as my lower back ages), and although it's a rare bird in the US, I bought mine used for about the same as a used 321 (i.e. cheap). From behind the mouthpiece, the timbre was similar to the 321, but I never sought an evaluation of the difference, if any, from the audience side.
    I think I've owned around eight 321s. Some because of circumstance, but most because I'd need an affordable, "get back into euphonium" easy-player, then after my chops returned, I'd crave a beefier "expand into the space" sound, so I'd replace it with a comp (a couple Bessons, couple Willsons, 642 clone, etc. - I'm playing a Sterling Virtuoso now). That's also why I sold the 621, but if one came around again at the price I sold mine for, I'd give it a long look as a supplemental horn. If you like the 321 sound & playing experience, then the 621's a good choice.