Thread: Salvation Army Triumph Euphonium

1. Salvation Army Triumph Euphonium

Hello everyone,

A number of years ago, Steven Mead had an old Salvation Army Triumph Euphonium full restored and this has inspired me to undertake a similar project. I have been asking around various places for quite a few years now.

My aim is to restore the Euphonium and then put my research together into a living history impression. I hope one day to own a collection of Euphonium's including a Besson Sovereign 967 but this will be part of the bigger picture.

I was hoping to ask the incredible members on this forum if they had any leads or places which I could explore.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

2. Hi Micah,

Very cool that you're wanting to do this! I can't help with where to find one, but they are definitely still around if you are patient...

I picked one up fairly recently myself, and it is currently being restored. They do play well and are lovely instruments, although curiously, mine played well when I first got it until I cleaned it a few times. All the grime and muck that had built up over the years was blocking the inevitable holes and leaks, and the cleaning caused it to play worse due to the extra leaks that were exposed. And as you may know, the valves were never particularly good with these instruments, so they are being rebuilt as well. Much like the level Steven Mead went to. Mine has 3 valves, not 4.

It's hard to get a real idea of just how compact these are until you see it being held and played. My primary horn is actually a 967, and it's a very different shape and layout to this!

A long story, but I had my first Salvation Army Triumph instrument restored around 15 years ago (it was a trumpet that had been in the family for decades), and I've found more over the years, from trumpets and flugels through to baritones and the eupho. Some I've had restored, and some I haven't. The earliest I have is a trumpet from between 1896 and 1908. The eupho is from 1912.

I've documented them here:

(https://salvationarmyhorns.com)

The eupho is there with pictures from prior to the resto. It's currently in many pieces! And the Triumph Baritone has now been restored - I'd better update the photos on this one!

All the best with your search - I'd love to see the results when you get to this project!

Regards,
    Jason.

Hi Micah,

Fixing up a good, older horn is viable. The key is it was a GOOD horn to begin with.

I fell in love with and bought a New Standard back in high school (late 60's). I had to sell it in the 80's, as I was broke.

Better financial times now, and a few years ago I bought another one, just a few digits from my old one (a 1966 build).

It was a really sad example, sold as a SA discard. Worn out valves, holes in tubing, many dents.

It went to Oberloh in Seattle for a full restoration of some 3 years.

We collaborated on a novel trigger design, as I don't care for the usual thumb activation, along with other upgrades.

Dennis G.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Me side.jpeg   trigger b.JPG   trigger f.JPG  

A good place to do research:

http://www.euphoniumcollective.co.uk/neweuph.htm

DG

5. Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for your responses, I have to admit my search for a Salvation Army four valve Triumph Euphonium has been a little slow but I really hope that I may be able to find something this year.

It is absolutely incredible what instruments are still out there hidden away in the lofts of various Salvation Army buildings. I think it is amazing the amount of people who are finding these instruments and getting them fully restored.

I really hope I willbe able to find one of these instruments in the near future.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons