Thread: John Clough - Carnival of Venice

John Clough - Carnival of Venice

This is an older recording of the Rimmer "Carnival of Venice" variations, with the smooth, suave, seductive sound of John Clough!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOr0WIZu9Cg

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I have a somewhat similar, but slightly different, version of Carnival of Venice with Harold Brasch's name on it (who I got it from). It actually has Manning / Brasch on the music. 4 of the variations on the version I have are the same, but the one above leaves out one variation that I have and adds one variation that I don't have. The version of Carnival of Venice arr. by Rimmer seems quite a bit different from the video above, at least the version I have seen/heard.

The reason I recognize this is that I played this "sort of exact piece" many years ago. It was the version of Carnival of Venice I played for a performance after just getting over a cold, or mostly over it. I was taking all kinds of meds to try to squash the cold because I knew I had a solo performance coming up. At the start of the solo, I was so dry, that I could barely play. It was terrible. After the first part (intro), I went over to the trombones and got a hold of one of the player's water bottles (that they use to squirt their slides) and took a few quick squirts in my mouth right on stage. The audience seemed to enjoy that (I was not having a good time). Fortunately only water in the squirt bottle, and no oil or other stuff. That helped enough that I was able to finish the solo in pretty good order.

I can't tell what John Clough is doing on the very final variation (the one that is not in the version I have). But whatever it is, it is pretty quick indeed.

I have the band arrangement for this piece and also played this a few short years ago with our New Horizons Band in Rapid City, SD. You don't hear this version much, but I like it a lot.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 12-28-2020 at 11:45 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)