Thread: Denis Wick Mouthpiece Booster fit issue

Denis Wick Mouthpiece Booster fit issue

Hello all and Merry Christmas!

I have a Denis Wick 3AL mouthpiece I purchased new in the past year. For Christmas my family bought me a Denis Wick Mouthpiece Booster. I really like it but cannot get it to fit all of the way even after cleaning.

Here is a picture of the booster on:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wick-Booster.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	8094

Here is the mouthpiece and booster separate:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wick-booster-2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	8095

I could not find anything on the Denis Wick website. Thanks.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Is there a rubber O-ring in there that helps it stick?

Anyway, try putting your mouthpiece in the freezer for a bit, then see if it fits. DO not put the booster in the freezer.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

3. This happened to me a long time ago and nothing I tried worked, until I gave up on trying to do it in a way that would preserve the mouthpiece.

I put the mouthpiece in a vice - I put a layer of rubber grip between the vice and the outer rim of the mouthpiece, then tightened it until it would not move anymore (scratched the side of the rim).

I then got hand pliers hard around the booster body (with a layer of rubber grip in between) and tried to rotate it until it eventually moved and I was able to get it to come off after it became loose.

(There is an O ring in there that does too good a job)
    Ted

Besson Prestige BE2052-8G-0 Euphonium
    Besson Sovereign 956 Baritone

Thanks for the suggestions. Glad it is not just me. I will try the freezer one first and let you know.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

I tried putting the mouthpiece in the freezer for a couple of hours and it did not work. Then tried heating the booster with boiling water and it also did not work. Received reply to e-mail to Denis Wick asking for pictures and will see what they say.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

I just received the following from the Denis Wick company:

"Morning Rodger,

Many thanks for sending the images. It helps a lot.

The gap is quite normal and the position of the booster on the mouthpiece is correct.

As long as you do not get any vibration of the 2 surfaces it is absolutely fine.

Regards

Brian

Denis Wick Products Ltd"
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba