Thread: Out of Print/Hard to Find Euph Recordings?

1. Out of Print/Hard to Find Euph Recordings?

So this is a question that I've been wondering about for awhile: Are there any recordings that you wish were easier to find (whether through streaming services like Spotify, or buying physical copies) and/or wish were reprinted? (such as older recordings that were only on tape/vinyl or are long out of print)

One that comes to mind (and helped spark this question) is Harold Brasch's "Mr. Euphonium," which I have heard plenty about, but haven't been able to locate, even used. I know the "Leonard Falcone and His Baritone" recording is available on Youtube, and Art Lehman's "A Night in June" is available on Spotify.
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

Quote Originally Posted by Fujiifilm View Post
    So this is a question that I've been wondering about for awhile: Are there any recordings that you wish were easier to find (whether through streaming services like Spotify, or buying physical copies) and/or wish were reprinted? (such as older recordings that were only on tape/vinyl or are long out of print)

One that comes to mind (and helped spark this question) is Harold Brasch's "Mr. Euphonium," which I have heard plenty about, but haven't been able to locate, even used. I know the "Leonard Falcone and His Baritone" recording is available on Youtube, and Art Lehman's "A Night in June" is available on Spotify.
    There was an early 1980's LP from the Air Force Band featuring various soloists. It has Brian Bowman playing Fantasia di Concerto.

Mike

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I am lucky to own the Mr. Euphonium album of Harold Brasch playing solos with the band at the International Music Camp at the border of North Dakota and Canada, I think. I did not get out the album to check if I remembered right, but I think those are the details. Harold was a regular teacher/performer at the music camp for a lot of years. Living in South Dakota now, I have become friends with several former area band directors here who used to participate in that camp and have told me about their interactions with Mr. Brasch.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

FYI, I had checked with Brasch's family a while back and they talked of plans to re-issue some of this stuff. However, I think that correspondence was a few years ago - good thing I wasn't holding my breath!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    FYI, I had checked with Brasch's family a while back and they talked of plans to re-issue some of this stuff. However, I think that correspondence was a few years ago - good thing I wasn't holding my breath!
    Wow! I wonder if there still are plans to re-issue any of them?
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

Quote Originally Posted by Fujiifilm View Post

And of course there is Dave's tape that he put out back in the 80"s. If you sent him a blank cassette, he would fill it up with numerous solos and excerpts. Played it for years until my cassette player ate it!

Mike