Thread: Besson New Standard Eb Cornet - Serial# 14nnnn -

1. Besson New Standard Eb Cornet - Serial# 14nnnn -

I'm looking for information regarding the dating, history and quality of a Besson New Standard Eb Cornet that I just purchased from someone on eBay. I just started learning about the history of Besson searching the internet.

The serial number begins with 14 and is 6 digits. The middle numbers were obscured when the horn was re-plated.

The person I bought the horn from dated it around 1969. However, from the lists I've seen it could be either around 1938 or 1952. Trent Hamilton thinks it probably is in the 1952 era because the valve buttons are more of a thicker drum shape than the thinner modern valve caps.

I'm wondering whether this was considered a professional, step up or student instrument. The current Besson line only has two "New Standard" trumpets that say they are a "Step Up" which is their intermediate.

Trent thinks that a 1950s era New Standard was possibly the professional precursor to the Sovereign.

I'm also wondering whether this would have been "high pitch" versus a "low pitch" instrument and if it's suitable to play in modern brass bands.

Any information any of you could provide would be greatly appreciate.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201208_150742244.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	4.44 MB 
ID:	8082
    Last edited by Andrew Amey; 12-09-2020 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Attached a photo that didn't work, trying again.

2. Ok, I have some information for you:

The serial number 14nnnn dates this to a range from 1932 to 1938 as follows:
    • 140164 - January 1932
    • 141820 - January 1933
    • 143643 - January 1934
    • 145199 - January 1935
    • 146673 - January 1936
    • 148811 - January 1937

This is according to the factory records available at the Hornimann Museum in London who received them when the Edgeware factory shut down in 2001-2.

In the 1930s (and until the 1970s) a "New Standard" was top of the Besson line. Usually the same instrument was available as an "Imperial" with the Boosey&Hawkes label on it. This did not change until the "Sovereign" models came out in the early 1970s. Sometime in the late 1990s the "Prestige" line superseded the Sovereign as top of the line, though Sovereign is still a fully professional model. The re-use of the "New Standard" imprimatur as a beginner/intermediate name is a very recent change by Buffett/Besson. Previously, models with the "2-20" or "International" filled this role.

Check to make sure the Eb cornet is not a high pitch (A=452) instrument, as many English and Salvation Army brass bands were high pitch during the 1930s.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

3. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Amey View Post
    I'm also wondering whether this would have been "high pitch" versus a "low pitch" instrument and if it's suitable to play in modern brass bands.
    I certainly cannot tell by just looking at the picture. Unless the bell insignia is marked HP or LP, the only way to tell is to play the horn. Use a tuner and play the open harmonics. You should get concert Eb's (written C in Eb Treble) and Bb's (written G in Eb treble). If they are way sharp, you have a high pitch.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band