Thread: Olds Tuba 4th valve question

Question Olds Tuba 4th valve question

I'm looking for advice or knowledge about the valve set up of a Olds Tuba, 0-99-41 made about 1971. Was the Olds tubas that were put together back in the 1970s use the same pistons for the 3rd & 4th valves?

Just discovered that the 4th valve (cylinder 4) is stamped 3 on top of the piston. There are two 3rd pistons on this tuba.

I switched valves 3 & 4 and the tuba is still blows flat, everything still works. Yes, it's strange that it's possible to switch the 3rd & 4th piston. Also, there are very little leaks if any either way if the pistons are switched.

The 3rd valve is very flat, about 50 cents flat. This causes any 2-3 valve combination to be very flat. I like this horn, just want Gb & Db to play in tune.

Overall tuning on this tuba is good. The open overtone series is good, 1st, 2nd, 4th valve overtones are very good.

If the tuba is suppose to have a valve 4 (stamped 4 on top of the piston) in the 4th valve), any tips/ideas who makes a 4th valve for this Olds?

Any advice, tips, experience, wisdom would be welcome.

Musically,
    Eric
    Last edited by EricS; 12-05-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Hello Eric,

You might want to ask on https://www.tubaforum.net/ . It might have more tuba eyes to see it.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

It's my understanding that Olds made that third loop a little flat on its three valve model to help the 1-3 and 1-2-3 valve combinations be a little less sharp. Unfortunately, they didn't shorten it on the four valve model, resulting in flat 2-3 and 3rd valve tones. The fix is to have a good technician lop an appropriate amount off the that third valve loop to make the 2-3 and 3rd valve fingerings be in tune. Don't know a thing about your fourth valve being identical to the third. Hopefully someone on the tuba forum was able to be more helpful if you asked the question over there.
    Steve Petrangelo
    Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (trombone/treasurer)

Thank you for pointing me in a good direction John. I'll look into tubaforum.net

Thank you Steve. Yes, what you posted makes sense. Hoping not to take tubing off the 3rd slide. In no rush to find a fix.

Found an old Band Repair guy that did some digging and found out that Olds used the 3rd valve (piston) also in valve (cylinder) 4.

They are nice horns and play with a bigger sound than most would think. Really like the Olds horns. Best wishes.
    John 3:16

Conn Victor 5H Trombone
    Yamaha 354 Trombone
    Conn 15I Euphonium