Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IPlayEuph
    • Dec 2020

The deal fell out because they wouldn't let me play on it before I could pay for it, I'm not going to purchase a random 50 year old horn on Craigslist without making sure it works.

I am not going to buy a stencil horn.

The reason I'm even in the market for a 20-40 year old horn is the fact it even lasts that long. Especially when horns like mack, wessex, and jinbao barely last 2. I'm buying a horn that I know won't immediately fall apart in 2 years versus one that'll just a need a few repairs
    Last edited by IPlayEuph; 12-16-2020, 06:16 PM.

Comment

• ametropia
      • Dec 2018

I don't blame people for not allowing play-testing of horns. Have to treat even in-person deals like online remote deals, because sanitizing a horn over and over -- PROPER sanitizing -- may be unrealistic for many owners selling their horns.

As for old horns... my Besson New Standard from 1978 is a great little horn, is it dented, yes, but I love the sound and even my technician said it plays great and the dents aren't compromising it.

Wow I think I just talked myself into not selling my Besson (I was intending on selling it along with two other horns I have), but I forgot how much I love that horn. I may not be able to play it much right now but I think I'd rather hold onto it.
      "Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl."
      "The end (of the world) will come, but love and music live forever."

Euph: Geneva Symphony (4v-comp, trig)
      Euph: Besson New Standard (3v-comp 1978)
      Bari: Wessex BR-140 (3v-comp, lacquer)
      Mpcs: Euph (SM4) Bari (Stork T1)

Comment

• IPlayEuph
        • Dec 2020

Originally posted by ametropia View Post
        I don't blame people for not allowing play-testing of horns. Have to treat even in-person deals like online remote deals, because sanitizing a horn over and over -- PROPER sanitizing -- may be unrealistic for many owners selling their horns.

As for old horns... my Besson New Standard from 1978 is a great little horn, is it dented, yes, but I love the sound and even my technician said it plays great and the dents aren't compromising it.

Wow I think I just talked myself into not selling my Besson (I was intending on selling it along with two other horns I have), but I forgot how much I love that horn. I may not be able to play it much right now but I think I'd rather hold onto it.
        And this right here, ladies and gents, is why I'm buying from the used market. They're being bought and kept for a reason. and that reason? Quality. Quality that spans DECADES. I'm happy that you've rekindled your love for you horn ametropia!

Comment

• leisesturm
          • Aug 2018

Originally posted by IPlayEuph View Post
          And this right here, ladies and gents, is why I'm buying from the used market. They're being bought and kept for a reason. and that reason? Quality. Quality that spans DECADES. I'm happy that you've rekindled your love for you horn ametropia!
          I don't want to sound mean, but ... how is that working for you so far? That seller didn't want you play testing the horn because if you did you wouldn't buy it! They knew that, even if you didn't. It was/is a project horn for a buyer with the skills to refurbish it. The horn listed in post #14 looks (literally) like a better bet but horns always look better in pictures. Always. I would never buy a used horn sight unseen and I would be very suspicious of a seller who didn't expect a buyer to want to play the horn before buying it, Covid or no Covid. I'm not going to try and convince you of anything, but you might want to keep a more open mind on things. A quality horn is only worth your time if it has been well cared for. Don't just jump on anything offered for sale because it is from an old, established manufacturer. I'll check in after two years with my stencil horn to report on how well (or not) it has held up.
          John Packer JP274 MKII S

Comment

• IPlayEuph
            • Dec 2020

Originally posted by leisesturm View Post
            I don't want to sound mean, but ... how is that working for you so far? That seller didn't want you play testing the horn because if you did you wouldn't buy it! They knew that, even if you didn't. It was/is a project horn for a buyer with the skills to refurbish it. The horn listed in post #14 looks (literally) like a better bet but horns always look better in pictures. Always. I would never buy a used horn sight unseen and I would be very suspicious of a seller who didn't expect a buyer to want to play the horn before buying it, Covid or no Covid. I'm not going to try and convince you of anything, but you might want to keep a more open mind on things. A quality horn is only worth your time if it has been well cared for. Don't just jump on anything offered for sale because it is from an old, established manufacturer. I'll check in after two years with my stencil horn to report on how well (or not) it has held up.
            It's lovely how much you doubt my preference after only one problem. You do realize that not every vintage horn is a project horn right? You do realize Newer doesn't always equate to better. Right? I'm not immediately jumping on to the first horn I see. I make contact with the seller and see if I can playtest the horn, and guess what? If they are from a reputable seller? I'll buy the horn outright. The fact you can't be comfortable with someone wanting a vintage horn from a reputable brand over a stencil horn is what's peeving me. So how about this? Everybody is different, from their tastes to their opinions. So please, stop trying to tell someone who doesn't want a stencil horn that they should get one anyways.

Kind regards,

IPlayEuph
            Last edited by IPlayEuph; 12-17-2020, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• longhornpatino
              • Jan 2014

In my assessment, people are trying to be helpful in your instrument hunting. leisesturm's consideration of a new horn within your budget is a valid one, but your preference for a time tested classic is also valid. For the link I sent to the Besson New Standard, if you choose to watch it, the seller will likely go lower on the euphonium. I received an offer for $1550. Perhaps you can get the seller lower... The pictures tell a story of a solid instrument for your budget, and the picture of the valve pistons and slides is also very telling of a horn in decent shape. Anyhow, there is always risk when purchasing from eBay, but if I did not already have a New Standard and Sovereign, I would be all over this one.

Comment

• davewerden
                Administrator
                • Nov 2005

I like to hear different opinions on the forum...as long as the conversation stays respectful to both side of a discussion. In this thread, there is a case to be made for either side of the "used pro horn" vs. "new clone-ish horn" decision. I could see myself going for either type depending on my needs at the time (and the market, to some extent).

leisesturm and IPlayEuph - please keep this in mind. Thanks.
                Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                YouTube: dwerden
                Facebook: davewerden
                Twitter: davewerden
                Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• IPlayEuph
                  • Dec 2020

Apologies. No excuses, I lost my temper there. Also I have read the listing you sent me longhornpatino, I indeed have added it to.my watch list while I keep hunting.

Comment

• Shawn
                    • May 2020

Originally posted by IPlayEuph View Post
                    It's lovely how much you doubt my preference after only one problem. You do realize that not every vintage horn is a project horn right? You do realize Newer doesn't always equate to better. Right? I'm not immediately jumping on to the first horn I see. I make contact with the seller and see if I can playtest the horn, and guess what? If they are from a reputable seller? I'll buy the horn outright. The fact you can't be comfortable with someone wanting a vintage horn from a reputable brand over a stencil horn is what's peeving me. So how about this? Everybody is different, from their tastes to their opinions. So please, stop trying to tell someone who doesn't want a stencil horn that they should get one anyways.

Kind regards,

IPlayEuph
                    Good call--don't get talked into something you'll regret.

Comment

• Fujiifilm
                      • Mar 2011

Here's another listing for an old Besson that seems to be in solid shape, and from a reputable seller: (they also have a BIN listing of the same horn for a little higher, but still under $2k)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Besson-Imperial-Compensating-Euphonium-SN-486599-VERY-NICE-GREAT-PLAYER/264977093489?hash=item3db1dd9371:g:
                      RtwAAOSwa9Nf05OU

It is raw brass, if that makes a difference.

Edit: wanted to clarify that this is not my euph for sale, nor am I affiliated with the seller.
                      Last edited by Fujiifilm; 12-17-2020, 01:09 PM.
                      Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
                      Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
                      Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
                      VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
                      York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
                      Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
                      Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
                      F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

Comment

• daruby
                        • Apr 2006

The horn Fujifilm is referring to is being sold by quinntheeskimo out of Seattle area. He is a low brass player and I have found him to be reputable to deal with. You can call him directly and talk to him about condition, etc. The price is very attractive.I purchased a 2001 Sovereign 967 from him a few years back for just over $3k and it turned out to be a steal.

Doug
                        Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
                        Concord Band
                        Winchendon Winds
                        Townsend Military Band

Comment

• longhornpatino
                          • Jan 2014

That is also a nice euphonium, however; I might be a bit wary about the plating on the valve pistons. Can be a bit pricey to address. He also documents this euphonium to be an Imperial, and it is actually a Besson New Standard. Similar horns, but not accurate to label it as such. 30 day return policy, though, so if you don't approve, you can send it back at your own expense!

Comment

• IPlayEuph
                            • Dec 2020

Thank you everyone for helping me in my search for my own horn! Your work is appreciated and I'm glad to have finally made an account so I can engage with fellow musicians.
                            Last edited by IPlayEuph; 12-17-2020, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Shinn
                              • Feb 2020

Very nice Boosey & Hawkes Imperial 3+1 compensating euphonium listed by ‘Quinn the Eskimo ’ yesterday-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boosey-and-...-/333839997848
                              Last edited by Shinn; 12-29-2020, 02:45 PM.
                              David Shinn
                              Peninsula Concert Band
                              Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
                              1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
                              1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
                              1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
                              Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Comment

Working...
                              X