Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WTB: Used Compensating Euphonium

1. In my assessment, people are trying to be helpful in your instrument hunting. leisesturm's consideration of a new horn within your budget is a valid one, but your preference for a time tested classic is also valid. For the link I sent to the Besson New Standard, if you choose to watch it, the seller will likely go lower on the euphonium. I received an offer for $1550. Perhaps you can get the seller lower... The pictures tell a story of a solid instrument for your budget, and the picture of the valve pistons and slides is also very telling of a horn in decent shape. Anyhow, there is always risk when purchasing from eBay, but if I did not already have a New Standard and Sovereign, I would be all over this one.

I like to hear different opinions on the forum...as long as the conversation stays respectful to both side of a discussion. In this thread, there is a case to be made for either side of the "used pro horn" vs. "new clone-ish horn" decision. I could see myself going for either type depending on my needs at the time (and the market, to some extent).

leisesturm and IPlayEuph - please keep this in mind. Thanks.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Apologies. No excuses, I lost my temper there. Also I have read the listing you sent me longhornpatino, I indeed have added it to.my watch list while I keep hunting.

4. Quote Originally Posted by IPlayEuph View Post
    It's lovely how much you doubt my preference after only one problem. You do realize that not every vintage horn is a project horn right? You do realize Newer doesn't always equate to better. Right? I'm not immediately jumping on to the first horn I see. I make contact with the seller and see if I can playtest the horn, and guess what? If they are from a reputable seller? I'll buy the horn outright. The fact you can't be comfortable with someone wanting a vintage horn from a reputable brand over a stencil horn is what's peeving me. So how about this? Everybody is different, from their tastes to their opinions. So please, stop trying to tell someone who doesn't want a stencil horn that they should get one anyways.

Kind regards,

IPlayEuph
    Good call--don't get talked into something you'll regret.

5. Here's another listing for an old Besson that seems to be in solid shape, and from a reputable seller: (they also have a BIN listing of the same horn for a little higher, but still under $2k)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Besson-Imperial-Compensating-Euphonium-SN-486599-VERY-NICE-GREAT-PLAYER/264977093489?hash=item3db1dd9371:g:
    RtwAAOSwa9Nf05OU

It is raw brass, if that makes a difference.

Edit: wanted to clarify that this is not my euph for sale, nor am I affiliated with the seller.
    Last edited by Fujiifilm; 12-17-2020 at 01:09 PM.
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

6. The horn Fujifilm is referring to is being sold by quinntheeskimo out of Seattle area. He is a low brass player and I have found him to be reputable to deal with. You can call him directly and talk to him about condition, etc. The price is very attractive.I purchased a 2001 Sovereign 967 from him a few years back for just over $3k and it turned out to be a steal.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

7. That is also a nice euphonium, however; I might be a bit wary about the plating on the valve pistons. Can be a bit pricey to address. He also documents this euphonium to be an Imperial, and it is actually a Besson New Standard. Similar horns, but not accurate to label it as such. 30 day return policy, though, so if you don't approve, you can send it back at your own expense!

8. Thank you everyone for helping me in my search for my own horn! Your work is appreciated and I'm glad to have finally made an account so I can engage with fellow musicians.
    Last edited by IPlayEuph; 12-17-2020 at 06:34 PM.

Very nice Boosey & Hawkes Imperial 3+1 compensating euphonium listed by ‘Quinn the Eskimo ’ yesterday-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boosey-and-...-/333839997848
    Last edited by Shinn; 12-29-2020 at 02:45 PM.
    David Shinn
    Peninsula Concert Band
    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123