Thread: How to use the Kopprasch for BB flat Tuba on euphonium?

1. How to use the Kopprasch for BB flat Tuba on euphonium?

I'm looking at using the Kopprasch 60 studies for BB flat Tuba (yellow cover) on euphonium, but some aspects are doing my head in...

Do I just play it as if it's Bass Clef in C? What would a BB flat Tuba player do? Would she be transpose it down an octave in addition to what I would? Or is book a transposing part in Bass Clef, i.e. every printed C should sound like a B flat?
    Ted

Besson Prestige BE2052-8G-0 Euphonium
    Besson Sovereign 956 Baritone

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    If you are a bass clef playing euphonium player, play the notes just like you would on euphonium. Tuba players read concert pitch music for the most part (as in orchestra music). Brass band music is another story. The written orchestral music never changes, but their horns might from BB to CC and sometimes to Eb or F. Tuba players learn to play the same music on different horns, and therefore use a different set of fingerings for each.

But since the music is concert pitch in the book, you just read it like it is standard bass clef concert pitch. Now you might have to play things up an octave, I only saw a couple pages of the book, and the lowest note I saw was a low pedal Bb. If it goes much lower, I would read up an octave, good practice.

A tuba player would read this in concert pitch. If playing a BB tuba, a Bb in the music would be a Bb on the tuba. They would not transpose anything. And neither would you, unless you wanted to play some of it up an octave.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

3. Thanks John! I'll give it a go!
    Ted

Besson Prestige BE2052-8G-0 Euphonium
    Besson Sovereign 956 Baritone