Thread: Euphonium Weight

1. Euphonium Weight

Hello all,

After Jim Williams (snorlax) mentioned he intended to weigh the ACB Doubler, it set me to thinking. I have generally felt that my Adams E3 (0.70 yellow brass) is a "lightweight" while my Sterling Virtuoso (heavy gold brass bell) is a heavyweight. After some experimentation I have settled on playing my Adams with the heaviest HBC 4th valve cap (6.7oz) and my Wick 4AL (4.8oz). I play my Sterling using the 1/2 weight cap (2.4 oz) though it comes stock with the 4.30oz full weight cap. This means at stock weight, my Sterling weighs a full 1.5 lb more than my Adams. At playing weight, the difference is still a full 15oz.

Preliminary measurements are:

Adams E3 (No mouthpiece, std. 4th valve cap) = 9lbs 5oz - stock out of the case
    Adams E3 (Wick 4AL, HBC on 4th valve) = 10lbs even - the way I play it

Sterling (No mouthpiece, std. 4th valve cap) = 10lbs 8oz
    Sterling (No mouthpiece, Sterling heavy cap) = 10lbs 13oz - stock out of the case
    Sterling (Wick 4AL, Sterling 1/2 cap) = 10lbs 15oz - the way I play it
    Sterling (Wick 4AL, Sterling heavy cap) = 11lbs 1oz
    Sterling (Wick 4AL, HBC) = 11lbs 4oz

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Hi Doug,
    interesting post that gives me some doubts. My 2007 Besson Prestige 2007 German made registers the following weights:
    5,2 kg stock out of the case
    5,645 kg the way I play it, with mouthpiece, lefreque, lighter caps and heavy bottom cap on the 4th
    5 kg removing lefreque plates, water catcher, hand strap, mouthpiece and plastic main slide guard.
    By removing the pistons, caps, springs and trigger, 4,360 kg of brass plate alone remain.
    Considering that the bell has a brass plate thickness of 0,6 mm (http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...etal-Thickness), how can it be possible that the Adams E3, with a plate thickness of 0,7 mm ( constant throughout the bore) is so lighter? Making a rough calculation there should be about 700 grams more on the E3, instead it is the opposite.
    Last edited by franz; 12-04-2020 at 02:41 AM.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Have you compared bracing on the 2 horns? Adams keeps the horn pretty clean to aid in vibration. For example, the first valve tuning slide is unencumbered by a connecting brace - it's just the tubing. There is a brace to the bell, but none inside the tube wrap. Same for 3rd. And there is no 4th valve lock on the Adams.

Also, the Adams is made from sheet metal that is a consistent thickness. The Besson, I believe, is made with hydraulically drawn tubes that are thicker at one end. I assume Besson doesn't let them get too thin, so there may be some extra weight in the cumulative thicker parts.
    Last edited by davewerden; 12-03-2020 at 08:17 PM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. Franz,

My measurements were made on a postal scale with the horn sitting on a K&M stand. I zero the scale with the stand on the scale. I then put the horn on the stand. My baseline does not include the mouthpiece.

As Dave Werden says, the Adams is particularly light, no matter which thickness material. The exception is the E2 which is 0.80 yellow brass, ultra heavy valve caps and buttons, and trigger mechanism. That horn would be similar to my Sterling.

I sold a 2001 Sovereign to buy the E3 that I have. The Sovereign had been modified to Prestige spec less the heavy Prestige valve caps and trigger mechanism. The Adams is lighter than that horn.

The Adams has no 4th valve hold down, much less bracing, no trigger mechanism, no heavy bracing for the trigger belly guard, etc. It also comes with lighter valve caps, approx. 12gm each. The leadpipe is soldered to the bell but has the complex adjustable gap receiver.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band