Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Besson 956 4v Baritone v’s Wessex BR144 4v

1. Best wishes in your search. Let us know what you think after your trip.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by superted View Post
    Hi, I play on a 956, having bought it from Quinn the Eskimo in 2017 for $2745, it was in mint condition.

Below is a link to a video for a solo competition where I used the horn.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2a8KUSf79yc

As the other posts already said, it hasn't got great ergonomics, and the 4th valve is pretty much useless, intonation is quirky, BUT it still sounds and feels like a Besson Sovereign.
    (I've had the 1st and 3rd slides cut, and often have to swap the tuning slide with the longer 4th valve slide to get it to play in tune in warm weather).

Prior to buying this horn I was playing a Wessex 3 valve which I bought for 570gbp (plus 120gbp for shipping). Intonation on this horn was hard work, but believe it or not lefreque plates helped. The horn itself, and the valves felt flimsy and the metal feels hollow and light. The sound wasn't anything special (lefreque plates did give it more focus),

If I was to do more baritone playing (I spend 90% of my time on euph) then I would sell the 956, throw in another $2000 to get a 3 valve Sovereign (German made) or Neo.

The Prestige I tried in 2009 was absolutely fantastic in every way, just too dark for my taste (and I'll admit that I like the baritone sound brighter than most people).

I have not tried the Wessex 4 valve, so I will not comment.
    That is some FINE playing, Jeffrey. Thanks for sharing.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

3. So, I’ve played them all and ruled out the 1050 and the 955 - because I make them sound trombone like. (Someone independent also agreed)
    That leaves the 2056 and the Neo. Both sound great.
    God knows which to choose .......????

Quote Originally Posted by Howellsimon View Post
    So, I’ve played them all and ruled out the 1050 and the 955 - because I make them sound trombone like. (Someone independent also agreed)
    That leaves the 2056 and the Neo. Both sound great.
    God knows which to choose .......????
    Better a trombone sound than a baritone noise.
    Nowt

Retired

5. And after a few hours of careful consideration, I’ve gone for the Neo..... Collecting it tomorrow..... ! 😁

6. Quote Originally Posted by Magikarp View Post
    Better a trombone sound than a baritone noise.
    Our bandmaster in a 2019 rehearsal:
    ‘Baritones, I want you to sound more like the trombones’
    As quick as a flash my section mate said:
    ‘What? Flat and out of time?’
    Couldn’t have said it better myself..... 🤣🤣

7. Congratulations. Excellent choice. BTW, my Sterling 1050 is the gold brass "Heavy Bell" version which supports a better dynamic range and warmer sound.

As a first baritone, I find myself doubling with trombones or euphoniums, doing octaves with solo cornets, and of course playing lower end of the horn section. Each role requires a different sound, great listening, and musical sensitivity. Thus, sometimes I need to sound like a trombone, sometimes like a horn, sometimes like a slightly "crisper" euphonium, and every once in a while, a solo lick (usually high and quiet at the beginning of 2nd movement of a test piece after a huge blow in the 1st mvmt.!)

So for me, the ability to vary the quality of sound to the specific role being performed by the baritone at any given time is an essential element.

Of course, my role model for sound has been Katrina Marzella for the last 10+ years. Now that she has retired from Black Dyke, their new solo baritone, Mike Cavanaugh, is just stunning. I believe he plays either a Geneva or NEO with Dyke.
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

8. Thanks Doug. I’m looking forward to getting used to it - and of course practicing without a 4th valve.....
    Without a doubt, all 4 horns I played today were absolutely fantastic, just me that couldn’t produce the colours of sounds out of the 955 and 1050 - and in the case of the 955, I couldn’t help but over blow it. It was very tough to decide - was in a practise room for about 3 hours in total and had ‘blind’ listeners (brass band players) for their comments !!! God, it was a tough decision, but I’m sitting here now, content with the decision and it’s nice to know I have something that should last me the rest of my playing days (being realistic, not morbid)
    Massive thanks for your help and suggestions and comments.

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Of course, my role model for sound has been Katrina Marzella for the last 10+ years. Now that she has retired from Black Dyke, their new solo baritone, Mike Cavanaugh, is just stunning. I believe he plays either a Geneva or NEO with Dyke.
    Mike Cavanagh uses a Besson 955 actually.
    And agreed, Katrina Marzella's sound is a great inspiration and something to strive for, although I personally like a slightly clearer sound when playing baritone myself

10. Quote Originally Posted by TheJH View Post
    Mike Cavanagh uses a Besson 955 actually.
    Thank you for the update. One of the most beautiful sounding 955s I have ever heard!
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123