Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valve oil

Valve oil

I have been using Blue Juice, but I am almost out, so it is time to buy a new bottle of valve oil. What valve oil do you guys like best?

I’m still using Blue Juice and will stick with it. No complaints and it helps keep my valves cleaner.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

3. I use Blue juice most of the time. Sometimes when I have washed the valves and casings, I start with one coat of either Wick or Hetman #1. They "stick" to the surface and last better than Blue Juice, but are not as smooth once things get all settled. I can go weeks using just Blue Juice. I will say that if plaque (calcium?) build up has started after a long time, or valves have dried out completely and started sticking to the casing, I will go back to the Hetman or Wick to get the valves back in shape.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I have tried everything out there 38 times or more. I am currently in the "Monster Oil" phase of my life, have been for maybe a year now, and I like it pretty good. I get the Doc's Juice version, which is a buck more, so it must be better, right? Made/sold by some current, I believe, trumpet players from the U. S. Coast Guard Band, Dave's old stomping grounds.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I always come back to Blue Juice. It doesn't last as long as some, but I definitely see less gunk in the horn and valve oil is cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by massmanute View Post
    I have been using Blue Juice, but I am almost out, so it is time to buy a new bottle of valve oil. What valve oil do you guys like best?
    I've used Blue Juice, Hetman, and Yamaha. Now I'm using Resilience and I'm very pleased with it - very little gunk buildup and very long lasting. The drawback: not widely available and a little more expensive than some.
    https://www.resilienceoils.com/
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

At one time, I was a little concerned over possible ill effects of Blue Juice on one's health, so I asked Demondrae Thurman in a masterclass if he thought the stuff could give you cancer. He laughed and said no, so I'm still using it. Nothing else I've ever tried has worked as well.

Here's another vote for sticking with Blue Juice. I haven't experimented too much with other oils, but a few years ago I tried out Hetman for a while and I experienced more gunky buildup in my horn than I was happy with. I switched back to Blue Juice after that and haven't looked back. In fact two new bottles arrived at my doorstep just this week.

I will say that I started using Hetman tuning slide grease a couple years ago and for me that stuff is great. After cleaning my slides and putting Hetman slide grease on them they worked better than they ever have. I haven't experienced any gunk issues with using Blue Juice and Hetman slide grease.

I haven't experienced any gunk issues with using Blue Juice and Hetman slide grease.

Me neither! I’ve been using those two together for about 3 years with no issues.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Blue Juice. It's reliable, consistent, and keeps the valves and casings clean.
    Euphs:
    Miraphone 5050 Ambassador
    Wessex Travel (Tornister) Euphonium 'Maly' ER154
    Yamaha 201 Baritone
    Mp: Wick SM4 Ultra X
    Groups:
    The San Diego Concert Band

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast