Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ACB Doubler - Review Video

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Excellent review and playing, Dave! Sara, too, you have a keeper there!!

As for the position of the lyre box and screw, I usually pick up my horn by the upper branch or the hand guard because it is usually sitting in a euphonium stand in the upright position. However, when pulling the horn out of a case, I most always pick the horn up with my left hand, and I, like you, use the area where the lyre box is on the ACB Doubler, and you are quite right, the screw sticks out a bit and is in the way. I can't remember where most of those lyre boxes are on other euphoniums, to be honest. Adams does not have one (no marching in parades with my Adams for me I guess unless I have the music memorized). There is a lyre box on my B&H Imperial, and I think, without getting it out, it is on the tubing coming out of the 3rd valve, so it does not get in the way. And the screw does not stick out, if I remember correctly. It would probably be pretty easy to relocate the lyre box on the Doubler to the 3rd valve/slide area. And have the box on the inside of the tubing with the screw hole such that it doesn't stick out.

Like this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B&H euphonium.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	8046

Agreed on the 4th valve lock. I owned a Miraphone M5050 like Rick, and the lock was real similar. But sort of hard to work it one handed, like you can on the Bessons, for instance. And I also think the M5050 and Doubler locks are probably overall better. But the easiest one is my current Adams. It takes absolutely no effort to use. More than likely due to the fact that there isn't a 4th valve lock on it! I worried about that initially (like when putting it in the case), but after 3 years, hasn't been a problem so far.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

2. Pure quality n the Liebesfreud. Just well done and a great partnership understanding but to come back to the topic, if anyone expected the Doubler to double over, Dave made it double down instead.

Thanks for the feedback, folks!

One interesting thing I noticed yesterday and my practice. The high Bb (concert) on the Doubler is easier than on my Adams. It is in the "no brainer" category on the Doubler vs. needing a bit of thought on my Adams. It also seems a bit easier to go into the really high range, above the F above high Bb. That's kinda fun! (In almost all other playing my Adams is much easier to navigate, so I'm not considering swapping!)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

The horn I used is now on its way to Snorlax! It's been fun testing it, and I'll have one more video ready to upload in a day or two. It's just a continuation of our Liebesfreud session, where we rehearse a few more pieces. I took snips from each of the next 3 pieces to give a little more feel for different styles. Stay tuned!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Great review.
    On the original shop video he A/B'd with with the 321 and I quite preferred the 321.
    I think it comes down to player now, at least to the point where, when I listen carefully to the playing in this review, I mostly just hear Dave Werden.
    So I still prefer ACB's man on the 321 in the A/B setup, but Dave makes this horn sound really good.

But that I'm in Canada, I'd be on the Doubler's list of Tour Dates. If I ever get to Kansas City (I've heard there are some crazy little women there...) I'm going to check it out.
    Hi Shawn, I was the one that did the comparison video. What you might have heard is a general comfort level with the horn too, as I have owned the Yamaha for 10+ years, and had really only played on the Doubler's at that time briefly. I am also mainly a trombonist, so my ability to pick up any Euphonium and be right there with it takes a little longer. Having spent more time with the Doubler's, I definitely prefer it to the 321 in both playability and sound. Here is actually another video I just did playing a short etude excerpt on the Doubler's (Satin Lacquer Version), and I feel that the sound I was able to get from it was improved from the previous one, just by virtue of having it a bit longer.

https://youtu.be/3nKBTk4TZ1w

I wanted to also say a big THANK YOU again to everyone that has taken the time to play these instruments and provide great feedback and reviews! And thank you Dave for allowing us to use your platform to talk about the Doubler's Euphoniums and get the word out more.

6. Hi Dr. White,
    Lovely work on that excerpt!

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlowbrass View Post
    ...https://youtu.be/3nKBTk4TZ1w

I wanted to also say a big THANK YOU again to everyone that has taken the time to play these instruments and provide great feedback and reviews! And thank you Dave for allowing us to use your platform to talk about the Doubler's Euphoniums and get the word out more.
    Nice playing, Chris! I like that finish the most of the three (with the satin lacquer). The horn sounds really nice.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12