Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ACB Doubler Round 2 - Dave's Tests

1. David,

I continue to be amazed how good you sound and how clean your play is. Add it to the list! If Trent had sent us the Satin lacquer horn instead of the polished brass one, no one would have been able to tell the difference!

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I don't recall if I mentioned this when I posted on my experience with the horns at ACB, but I'll reiterate that the satin lacquer finish looks really nice! Of course, I'm easily sold on anything that conceals fingerprints and other smudges.
    Andrew Easley
    Principal Euphonium, 35th Infantry Division Band of the Kansas Army National Guard

3. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Opinions needed. For fun, I recorded one of the pieces from the excerpt book today - Italian in Algiers (I've been doing several of them to add to a playlist on YouTube to help people understand the scope of the book). I used the ACB Doubler. It's pretty easy to play, but of course quite different from my Adams. Consequently there are some rough edges. So my question is, should I make this public and add it to the excerpt list? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tixqc-izN6Q

As always you sound amazing! I gotta say this is so wonderful to hear you play our new horn! There's things we're already thinking about in terms of how much better we can get the horn and still keep it in the friendly budget our doubler's line is known for. In terms of the bore I'll take another measurement asap. We just launched our busiest week + here at the shop and we're a bit short-staffed as well. I am so glad I came to check on the thread and am so appreciative for everyone giving us the feedback and this opportunity. Without trade-shows in the near future this is really a wonderful option.

Many thanks and super respect!
    -T
    Trent Austin
    Owner
    Austin Custom Brass
    www.austincustombrass.biz
    I started on Baritone BTW in 3rd grade band

Thanks all for the comments!

FYI, the video is now public (the link is still the same). I added some description for the video explaining the ACB Doubler, too.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

FYI2, I plan on making at least one more demo video. I already have "footage" where I show and talk about the horn, but that will need a good deal of editing. I don't work from a script, so I'm finding my best way to say things on the fly.

And Sara and I had to reschedule our session for Monday. Assuming that does not get moved, I'll record something in the church with piano.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

6. Hi all,
    This is Josh from ACB. You'll have to forgive me for 'trespassing' here since I'm a trumpet player

We appreciate all the feedback and are so glad that those of you who've had a chance to try it have been so forthcoming about your experiences! We're definitely taking into account your experiences in our work to continue refining our shop tweaking to help make these great horns even better!

And, we're pleased to say we have a couple more trials lined up so you can continue to get first-hand experience from people who have played the horns!

If I can help with anything, please let me know! Thank you all!
    Josh
    816.410.0826 x700
    josh@austincustombrass.com

7. Hello everyone,

This is Chris White, the low brass guy at ACB.

I also wanted to chime in and say THANK YOU to you all for taking the time to play and review our Doubler's Euphoniums, and for the wonderful feedback and questions that have already come as a result. As the low brass person here at ACB, I have been especially excited about the Doubler's Euphonium line, and have been enjoying my time with the instruments as well. Though I am mainly a trombonist, I do a decent amount of euphonium playing in some groups, as well as for teaching, and so far especially for someone like me, I think this line fits the bill perfectly. I am planning to get some more playing example videos done soon, and I'll make sure to share them here on the forum. I am also trying to start being more active in communities like this one in general, so I'll be hanging around, as this looks like an awesome place for euphonium / tuba stuff!

Welcome to the forum, Chris! Please do feel free to speak your mind!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Here are a few clips from the rest of the rehearsal where we recorded Liebesfreud. It includes Schubert's Arpeggione Sonata, Tchaikovsky Romance in Fm, and Newton's Riders of the Rohan, so it covers some different styles. As expected, the horn fits into any of these with no problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82wH6EUkhVU

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

It would be interesting to know the weight of the horn and the thickness of the bell plate. Thanks.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast