Thread: SM3 vs DC2

1. SM3 vs DC2

Please share your thoughts on the SM3 vs the DC2 in regards of sound. I'm interested in your experiences. (or the SM4 vs the DC3)
    Who has played any of these mouthpieces on a ADAMS E3?

Thanks!
    Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
    Trombone: Benge 175F

I played them both on my E3. The DC2 feels smaller to me, and it’s throat feels smaller, so I ended up feeling like there was more back pressure on the DC2. My accuracy was better on the SM3X.

If you’re comparing to the standard SM3, it’s a bit different, but the SM3 classic feels significantly bigger with a rounder rim/cup transition.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by DutchEupho View Post
    Please share your thoughts on the SM3 vs the DC2 in regards of sound. I'm interested in your experiences. (or the SM4 vs the DC3)
    Who has played any of these mouthpieces on a ADAMS E3?

Thanks!
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

I've played both mouthpieces for extended periods each. In terms of sound the main difference is the SM3 plays warm & smooth, the DC2 brilliant & fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
    I've played both mouthpieces for extended periods each. In terms of sound the main difference is the SM3 plays warm & smooth, the DC2 brilliant & fluid.
    Which is curious because I feel that David Childs has a smoother, warmer, and more fluid sound than Steven Mead, certainly currently. I've only tried a DC4 which was too small but felt the sound was lush. Rim a little flat but good in every other regard.
    Nowt

Retired

5. I’m trying to decide what mouthpiece to use on my SS bell, Adams E3. I believe that my embouchure needs a 26.4 mm rim (wick 3). So I’m currently trying the SM3 (original) SM3U and the DC2.

So far I feel that the SM3 gives me the warmest and biggest sound. (But a bit diffuse in the super high range and heavy on endurance)

The SM3U: not as warm or big as the SM3 (but more focused in super high range and less fatiguing)

DC2: (too?) brilliant in sound. Little bit more tricky with accuracy. Nice focussed (super) high range.

On euphonium it’s not always easy to hear the sound from behind the bell. Also recording yourself doesn’t give a good example.

Hence the questions on your experiences....