Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Austin Custom Brass Doubler's Euphonium - A review in several parts

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Good, Dave, glad you will record, you certainly have a world more experience with that than I do. I travel to UPS at 4:30 today to send the Doubler on to the next lucky soul.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Well, I listened to a few of the excerpts I recorded using the mic on my camcorder, and I suppose they are okay. Here are a few of them:

John Morgan
    Summer Only:

3. Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Well, I listened to a few of the excerpts I recorded using the mic on my camcorder, and I suppose they are okay. Here are a few of them:

That sounds wonderful! Thank you for sharing this just made my day!

-T
    Trent Austin
    Owner
    Austin Custom Brass
    www.austincustombrass.biz
    I started on Baritone BTW in 3rd grade band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    John,

When I get the horn, I will do a very intense tuning effort using my hour long daily routine. By the way, the high A (usually 2nd valve) is often flat, particularly on my English baritones. I sometimes use 1-3 to bring the pitch up. I will spend quite a bit of time on that aspect of the horn.

Doug
    Morning! I hope that this question doesn't come across as facetious, but why spend time on this? Either 1/2 or will brighten it or 1/3 (or 4 if playing Wilby's Masquerade) I have personally found 1/2 the better option if needed but I've not played many euphs where its necessary.
    Nowt

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Magikarp View Post
    Morning! I hope that this question doesn't come across as facetious, but why spend time on this? Either 1/2 or will brighten it or 1/3 (or 4 if playing Wilby's Masquerade) I have personally found 1/2 the better option if needed but I've not played many euphs where its necessary.
    I'm not sure I understand your point, but I'll respond relative to alternate fingerings in general.

My personal favorite for this particular note is to use 12 if I need to raise the pitch. Normally I use 2nd valve only and it is fine, but in SOME contexts the pitch/brightness of 12 is a benefit. That is often the point of alternates - use them strategically. I know a fairly broad set of alternates (I even wrote a book about this) and I find myself applying them automatically in some contexts, even though the same notes in other contexts are fine for me with normal fingerings. Some alternates work to help avoid lip slur coordination problems, and I find I may need to use one of those only on days when my chops are feeling stiff. For my lower D concert I use 12 or 3 about equally, based on how I want the pitch or tone color to come across.

AND my chops are not perfect slaves to my wishes. Some days I can tune a middle G with the normal 12 and all is well. Other times I need to use 3...even in the same context. This can be due to a little extra "excitement" on my part that makes my chops want to set a little higher. Over the long term I'm working on channeling my excitement so it doesn't hurt the pitch, but in the meantime I use convenient fingerings.

I'm glad to see the mention of alternates, especially common ones like this high A and also for the 6th partial notes. Over the years I've learned that many players don't know about the benefits of alternate fingerings. For them, a discussion like this one can be an eye opener.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    ...[discussion of the pitch of high concert A]...My personal favorite for this particular note is to use 12 if I need to raise the pitch. Normally I use 2nd valve only and it is fine, but in SOME contexts the pitch/brightness of 12 is a benefit....
    Dave - so your 12 for high concert A sounds okay? On my Adams, the timbre is really different from traditional fingering of 2 (or 1-3). But, 2 valve plays high A concert on my Adams just fine. My Adams has remarkably good tuning up and down the horn.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Dave - so your 12 for high concert A sounds okay? On my Adams, the timbre is really different from traditional fingering of 2 (or 1-3). But, 2 valve plays high A concert on my Adams just fine. My Adams has remarkably good tuning up and down the horn.
    I used it often with my Besson and Sterling instruments, but probably did so only a few times on the Adams. Any such fingering requires practice and attention to keep from changing the color (unless that is the purpose for using it).

On my Bessons I had to use 13 for the 6th partial Eb. That sounds stuffy at first, but I got so I could hide the change well enough that you probably would not pick up on it unless you were watching me.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12