Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mouthpiece Material

Hello Mike, what you report is quite interesting.... Titanium alloys have a specific density hovering around 4.5. Thus they might require less energy to resonate than stainless steel, which has a density between 7.5 and 8.0.... Hence, at least in theory, stronger harmonics with Titanium Mouthpieces than stainless steel.

Tentatively extending this logic to brass, which has a density between 8.3 to 8.7, standard brass mouthpieces should sound a little darker than stainless steel ones.... But I have no idea if this is true... What is your experience?

I suspect there is more to mouthpieces being energized than metal density alone... Elasticity, and perhaps rigidity, for example, might have a role, and perhaps even ductility and malleability.

It would be interested to find out if any studies have been conducted in this area, by GW or other entities.

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Hey Guido,

That's interesting. I find that stainless feels darker to me than brass, although I haven't played the same piece in brass as in stainless. So the design is also a factor there.

The only direct comparison I have is titanium vs stainless.

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hello Mike, what you report is quite interesting.... Titanium alloys have a specific density hovering around 4.5. Thus they might require less energy to resonate than stainless steel, which has a density between 7.5 and 8.0.... Hence, at least in theory, stronger harmonics with Titanium Mouthpieces than stainless steel.

Tentatively extending this logic to brass, which has a density between 8.3 to 8.7, standard brass mouthpieces should sound a little darker than stainless steel ones.... But I have no idea if this is true... What is your experience?

I suspect there is more to mouthpieces being energized than metal density alone... Elasticity, and perhaps rigidity, for example, might have a role, and perhaps even ductility and malleability.

It would be interested to find out if any studies have been conducted in this area, by GW or other entities.

Regards, Guido
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Hello Mike, what makes a mouthpiece "sing" is a real technical/artistic furball, isn't it?

Material, interior/exterior design details, mass distribution.... How many variables are there really, and how do they all interact with one another.... And with the horn downstream.... A total headache generator

Saluti, Guido

Sure is... and I've got quite the varied collection of pieces!
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Yes, I did read that you have been safariing on eupho mouthpieces.... Just as I did in earlier times for High brass MPs

Do you have Alliance DC series in your collection? I confess that I am in love with DC4.... And my safarically-prone soul is wondering about eventually experimenting with DC2 and DC3.

G.

I do have the alliance DC series. I found them to feel very 'tight'. Maybe a smaller throat than I like? I tried DC2 and DC3. Not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Yes, I did read that you have been safariing on eupho mouthpieces.... Just as I did in earlier times for High brass MPs

Do you have Alliance DC series in your collection? I confess that I am in love with DC4.... And my safarically-prone soul is wondering about eventually experimenting with DC2 and DC3.

G.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Hello Mike, and thank you for your characterization of the DC series.... I have the feeling that the very same smaller throat that is not your cup of tea might be part of what makes DC4 so enjoyable to me

In our domain, beauty is so much in the chops of the beholder

Guido

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12