Thread: 4th valve hold-down lever

4th valve hold-down lever

My 4th valve hold-down lever (not sure of correct term) on my Adams E1 is really tight and difficult to move either way, except for moving easily to release the valve, but only a very short distance. I suppose that's ok as long as it isn't in the way of my 4th valve finger operation. But shouldn't it move freely throughout it's full range of rotation? Moving it back over the valve to hold the valve down when putting my horn in the case is really a hard push. I've tried key lubricant, but it has no effect. I've also tried to loosen it, but my screwdriver won't budge the screw, and I certainly don't want to put unnecessary pressure on it and cause damage. It has a slight off-set twist in the arm, but I assume that is intentional due to its required rotational movement. Haven't taken it to my local tech yet. I'm not sure how versed he is with this instrument (compensating, trigger mechanism, etc.). Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Roger; 11-04-2020 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Grammar

All the Adams I have tried or had for long term have not had the flipper for the 4th valve, so I'm not familiar with how it is made. Can you send a photo or two?

But I suspect adjusting it would have to do with moving that screw.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Yep, loosen the screw just a tad, and don't forget to make sure the valve still has a bit of movement so as not to mash the felts when stored. Just pry it very slightly with fingers to adjust tension.

DG

Thanks. I think I'll need to have the tech loosen the screw. I can't budge it and I'm not going to force it. The lever might just need to be removed and thoroughly cleaned. Could be gunked up. By the way, David, I tried to attach a couple of pics and couldn't make it work on my phone.
    Last edited by Roger; 11-04-2020 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Misspelling