Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taps on Veterans Day (Nov 11, 2020)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)

Taps on Veterans Day (Nov 11, 2020)

Howdy,

The Taps for Veterans organization is asking for people to sound Taps on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month (Nov 11, 2020 at 11:00 am). If you go to their website:

https://www.tapsforveterans.org/the-national-salute/ ,

you can sign up on that page to be acknowledged (but your contact information will be kept private) and also to enter a chance to win a pretty unique Challenge Coin. I think for the Memorial Day playing of Taps last May, it seemed you could play most any instrument to sound Taps. I have not seen that for this particular ceremony. You can play Taps on your front or back porch if you like.

Since that May event (I played Taps on my euphonium), I have obtained a Getzen American Heritage Field Trumpet (which is a really nice bugle), and I have joined Bugles Across America, a non-profit organization that provides live buglers (as opposed to a recording) for Veterans funerals across America. There are several thousand members in this organization. It does a similar mission that Taps for Veterans does. Being retired military, I plan to purchase a new Army dress uniform (a retro uniform styled after the uniform worn at the time of World War II - they are really sharp). So, I will be getting a uniform within a year (they are just in the process of being rolled out), not only because they are really sharp and it is legal for me to wear it for a funeral, but also because my other old Army uniforms (dress and blues) seem to have shrunk over the years hanging in the closet.

As for the bugle that I own (and also a John Packer cornet which I bought before I got the bugle to see if I could actually play on a small mouthpiece), I also got an extra slide that replaces the tuning slide in the bugle and puts the Bb instrument into G. So, I can play Taps a minor third lower, and that helps with the high notes. I started on trumpet when I was in 5th grade and switched to baritone in junior high school. I was terrible on trumpet. After noodling around on the JP cornet and now the bugle, I feel like I will be able to pull this off. I just have to spend some time each day or every other day on the small mouthpiece (I am using a 7C) to get some sort of playable chops for Taps. I can now muster a not too bad version of Taps, but I couldn't play it 10 times in a row yet. My goal is to get Taps sounding excellent, Veterans deserve nothing less. I am excited and proud to be doing this for our Veterans.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Howdy,

The Taps for Veterans organization is asking for people to sound Taps on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month (Nov 11, 2020 at 11:00 am). If you go to their website:

https://www.tapsforveterans.org/the-national-salute/ ,[snip]
    I participated in Taps Across America on Memorial Day, as did an elementary-school-aged trumpet player a few blocks away. We got positive feedback from the neighbors. I hope to participate in this one, too.

I have the greatest respect for those of you, who like John, devoted years of their lives to military service.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Quote Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post
    I participated in Taps Across America on Memorial Day, as did an elementary-school-aged trumpet player a few blocks away. We got positive feedback from the neighbors. I hope to participate in this one, too.

I have the greatest respect for those of you, who like John, devoted years of their lives to military service.
    Go for it! And thanks!!
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

John, you've given me an idea to play taps on the Euphonium or Trombone on Veteran's Day in the front yard. I have done from a pattern, a wood display of the knelling soldier and display that during the week along with our regimental flag. This year unable to take the trip to Washington because of the COVID but will be attending a ceremony at the court house for PH recipients and speaking there. Would love to play taps there in the court yard.
    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S
    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

Quote Originally Posted by BDeisinger View Post
    John, you've given me an idea to play taps on the Euphonium or Trombone on Veteran's Day in the front yard. I have done from a pattern, a wood display of the knelling soldier and display that during the week along with our regimental flag. This year unable to take the trip to Washington because of the COVID but will be attending a ceremony at the court house for PH recipients and speaking there. Would love to play taps there in the court yard.
    Bruce - I hope you get to play Taps in the court yard. Would love to see your wood display.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

I also want to participate, on euphonium or trombone (since I won't have to move the slide).
    I'll be off to the site shortly to register.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    Jim
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Bruce - I hope you get to play Taps in the court yard. Would love to see your wood display.
    Thanks John. I will PM it to you next week as I'll set it up this weekend. I'll probably use the trombone at home as it carries better. The courtyard would be excellent for the Euphonium. It's in front of the building and part of it is under the 2nd floor which would echo. I'll give it a shot.
    B&S 3046 Baritone/Euphonium
    Wessex Festivo
    B&S PT37-S
    Schilke ST20 Tenor Trombone
    Jupiter XO Double valve bass trombone

8. Pure class on your part, folks. Best wishes on it.
    I think I'll play it off my balcony here as well.

Don't know about anyone else, but here the ceremonies at the Cenotaph (along with the Kristallnacht observance some nights before, the Santa Claus Parade some days after, and other gatherings) have been cancelled. If someone who could not pay his respects at the Cenotaph hears me play, I'll take some small satisfaction.

I played in my backyard on Memorial Day and I’ve promised my husband that I’ll play on Veteran’s Day. Memorial Day was a touching experience for me. I went to school with several young men who died in Vietnam, and I’m always happy to participate in any ways I can to honor them.

Hello Dean Surkin,

TapsForVeterans.org has received your registration to sound Taps during the National Salute on November 11, 2020 at 11:00 am your local time.

Here is a copy of the information you provided to us.
    Name
    Dean Surkin
    Street Address
    311 Bronxville Road
    Email address
    dsurkin@optonline.net

City
    Bronxville
    State
    NY
    Zip Code
    Address/Location You Will Sound Taps
    Front of my house

The National Salute, re-instituted in 2015, is a means to show our deep respect for our Unknown Soldiers buried in the plaza of the Memorial Amphitheater in Arlington National Cemetery and all veterans. Taps For Veterans is asking you to participate in the National Salute ceremony on the 11th Hour, of the 11th Day, of the 11th Month.

This salute will mark the beginning of special programs and commemorations of the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier leading up the 100th anniversary on November 11, 2021. Taps For Veterans is working on a nationwide commemoration of the three buglers who sounded Taps at the ceremonies for the Unknowns.

Taps will be sounded at 1100 ( Local) on Wednesday November 11, 2020. It can be performed as part of a ceremony, or because of the COVID-19 restrictions it can be performed on your front lawn or at a site of your choosing - preferably a WWI monument.

For more information please visit the website.

Thank you,

TapsForVeterans.org
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast