Thread: Arban's first characteristic study

Arban's first characteristic study

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	181CB94C-8041-46FA-AAEE-77484D14BA69.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1,015.6 KB 
ID:	8029

I was teaching a lesson on this and the student pointed out something that I either never noticed, or was covered by a teacher of mine so long ago that I forgot it. Did somebody forget to cancel out the F# in bar 22 in both the Goldman/Smith/ Gordon edition and the Alessi/ Bowman edition of the Arban? Every recording From Tom Hooten to Misa Mead to Paul Mayes has the second arpeggio as Bb major, when according to the sheet music it should be augmented. I've tried it both ways and the augmented version certainly has a charm and a little spice to it, but is a little jarring after hearing it major for so long. They both are dominant chords resolving to the Eb major on the next bar followed by an unambiguous Bb to Eb. The older Goldman Version on Imslp as the F# cancelled out. I'm conflicted and would like more opinions.

Thanks for the help,

Alex S

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    I was teaching a lesson on this and the student pointed out something that I either never noticed, or was covered by a teacher of mine so long ago that I forgot it. Did somebody forget to cancel out the F# in bar 22 in both the Goldman/Smith/ Gordon edition and the Alessi/ Bowman edition of the Arban? Every recording From Tom Hooten to Misa Mead to Paul Mayes has the second arpeggio as Bb major, when according to the sheet music it should be augmented. I've tried it both ways and the augmented version certainly has a charm and a little spice to it, but is a little jarring after hearing it major for so long. They both are dominant chords resolving to the Eb major on the next bar followed by an unambiguous Bb to Eb. The older Goldman Version on Imslp as the F# cancelled out. I'm conflicted and would like more opinions.

Thanks for the help,

Alex S
    Alex - I have three Arbans books. All bass clef. The Bowman/Alessi version has it "wrong", that is, both of the E's in the second half of that measure are still E naturals because the natural was not cancelled out. My other two books have it really screwy, they have in bass clef lingo starting with the first four notes, F, E natural, F, E flat.... So, that is wrong, but it makes the following two E's in the measure E flats, which is as it should be.

I talked with my band director who is a trumpet player/teacher, and his trumpet Arban book (older than dirt) has the second lower F as an F natural, so therefore the following F would be natural, also. Since the Arban book was written for trumpet/cornet to begin with, I would go with that version.

I think I always played that bass clef E as an E flat for the second and third occurrences in that measure.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 11-01-2020 at 05:08 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

My edition of the book has it correct (treble clef, photo below). Also, the IMSLP site has a very old edition (usually a good thing) and it agrees with mine, and with the way most people play it, with the sharp cancelled out. Photo of that part of the page below.

Name:	Arban Cover.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	552.7 KB 
ID:	8030

Name:	Arban Char Study 1 Meas 22.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	8031
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Arban is fond (possibly overly so) of chromatic lower neighbor tones while he doesn't use augmented chords much at all. Also, I really can't see him blurring chord quality lines by mixing a #5 and a b7 in the same chord. That would be a pretty progressive sound for the early 1860s. So, my musical sense has always been that the Bb chord in question is a plain old dominant 7 chord (Bb-D-F-Ab).
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U