Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conn 90G Remington? Bach 6 1/2 w/Conn Adapter Need Help Please Read

1. Conn 90G Remington? Bach 6 1/2 w/Conn Adapter Need Help Please Read

First I'd like to Thank David Werden for having this website. As a result I got a referral to a WTB for a Conn 90G on Euphonium-Tuba Forum. Thanks also to David Shinn who referred Stuart Dye to me with a excellent Conn 90G.

I received the Conn 90G today. It has a Remington labeled mouthpiece with no model number listed. I also have a Conn 25i and use a Conn adapter with a Bach 6 1/2 AL. My Conn 25i came with a Conn Remington 5 mouthpiece.*

After cleaning the valves and mouthpiece,* I played the Conn 90G and found it a little awkward to hold and didn't have a very good playing response. So I put my Bach 6 1/2AL with the adapter into the receiver and it didn't fit at all, it was much too small. I put the Conn Remington 5 in and it also was too small.*

So what's going on? Did Remington have more than one standard size shaft? Is this analogous to Bach Small and Large shafts or was Remington different entirely?*

Thanks for your help.
    Have a good day.*
    Nelson*

2. Quote Originally Posted by hntjr View Post
    Did Remington have more than one standard size shaft? Is this analogous to Bach Small and Large shafts or was Remington different entirely?
    The trombone "Remington" is nearer a bass trombone shank while the Conn 25I is nearer what we call "Euro-shank" these days.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I'm not sure if Conn actually called the other shank sizes Remington or that's just poor documentation. I thought they were all the same name for a while, but have since given up on the idea.

The mouthpiece labeled Remington will have the actual Remington shank. It's 13mm @ 4.something% taper, which is completely different than normal. You can find mouthpieces with Remington shank here and there. I actually stumbled on a 6-1/2 AL-LR and bought it a long time ago, so they do exist. All of the other Connstellation era (and after) mouthpieces should be using normal 1:20 (5%) taper. The Conn 5 is specifically for the 24-I and 25-I, so...uh oh.

I'm not sure which "medium shank" the 25-I is using, so if you can, please measure it! I've heard that it is compatible with the common "Euro shank" mouthpieces, but I'm not rich enough to find out for myself. Normal Euro shank is appoximately 11.7mm @ 1:19, I have a very old modified Conn mouthpiece which is 11.5mm @ 1:19, and I've managed to finally spec out the crazy receiver of my 20-I and found that it should be using 11.25mm @ 1:20.

If you think that's complicated, you haven't seen the half of it. There are so many different shank sizes used for tenor instruments, it's not even funny.
    Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.

4. The 24I/25I use a medium shank that is slightly larger than a regular euro shank. The Conn adapter (if you have one) will work in a Willson 2900 or Besson New Standard, but the Besson adapter that I had with my vintage 1971 New Standard would not work. To get a Wick 5BM to work in my Conn 24I, I had to shave about 3/16" - 1/4" off of the end so that it would not bottom out in the receiver. The taper was close enough that it then seemed to engage correctly.

Generally, I just rcommend that people use the adapter and tenor shank mouthpieces. I hated the Conn 5 mouthpiece that came with the horn.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Perhaps this would be of help:

https://www.hickeys.com/search.php?q=045889
    Last edited by flotrb; 10-26-2020 at 03:23 PM.
    flotrb

Доверяй, но проверяй
    (Trust, but verify)

It's been a while since I played a 90G, but I believe it had a bass trombone receiver. You might try a large shank mouthpiece in your 90G to see if it fits.

7. I tried calling Ted Waggoner at Conn-Selmer. I have talked with him in the past about Conn, F. E. Olds and Bach. He was very helpful in the past. Unfortunately Ted has retired and the response I got back from Conn-Selmer was not very satisfactory. "Thanks for reaching out to us. I wish I could be more help, but we are unable to provide information on vintage instruments. You might try contacting a music store that specializes in vintage instruments." Todd Neuenschwander I called Conn-Selmer a couple of times during the day and got an answering machine. I finally left a message. With Covid 19 they might be working remotely or not at all.

Thanks for the responses above. I will be contacting Doug Elliot and pursuing a large shank and/or an adapter that is larger than the one I use on my Conn 25i with a Bach 6 1/2AL.

Why do we have to constantly contend with: "I'm not a real doctor, but I play one on TV"?

I hope that you can find what you are looking for here:

jsmith@connselmer.com
    Jason Smith
    Trombone Product Manager
    Conn-Selmer Inc.
    600 Industrial Pkwy
    Elkhart, IN 46516
    flotrb

Доверяй, но проверяй
    (Trust, but verify)

Quote Originally Posted by flotrb View Post
    Why do we have to constantly contend with: "I'm not a real doctor, but I play one on TV"?
    Because no one ever documents anything. The only people who any information about anything specific like this are the people who actually own the item and know the required information about it. Owning something and knowing nothing about it are not exclusive.

What's 25i shank? Apparently, it's bigger than Euro shank. How much bigger? What's Euro shank? No one knows because no one documents it. You know how I know what Euro shank is? I took probably 1000 measurements of several mouthpieces, bought a Besson Euphonium, and bought a custom mouthpiece (BLIND) to double check my measurements. $135 to guess and check. Good thing I got it right the first time?
    Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.

Quote Originally Posted by notaverygoodname View Post
    Because no one ever documents anything...Owning something and knowing nothing about it are not exclusive.
    This is from the Conn Loyalist site
    "It has a #4½ bore (0.547"). The 90G was produced between around 1970 and at least 1974. I gather that the 90G's bell section is that of an 8H pasted on to a euphonium valve section. Apparently the 90G was first developed for use by the Ohio State University Marching Band, who wanted something with a larger bore than the King Trombonium. OSUMB purchased 90G's around 1970. Same bell as the famous Conn 88H"

This is from the Horn Guys concerning Schilke-Remington mouthpieces:"... specially made for tenor and bass trombones having a large Remington shank style receiver. Examples of these trombones include Elkhart, Indiana production of the Conn 8H, 88H, 60H 62H, 70H-73H and others."

This is from the C.G.Conn Product Manual, 1960 (regarding the 24i):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Conn 25i.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	8020

Name:	Conn 25i #1.5.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	8021

Name:	Conn 25i #2.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	8022
    Last edited by flotrb; 10-29-2020 at 07:52 PM.
    flotrb

Доверяй, но проверяй
    (Trust, but verify)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast