Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daruby
    • Apr 2006

If I owned a Conn 90G, I would try one of my bass tromb shank mouthpieces, my 24I adapter, or a tenor shank (already known not to work). If none of those worked, I'd have Doug Elliott make me a Remington (8H) shank for one of my DE mouthpieces. Job done. Since I have more than one of everything except the 8H Remington, it is simple without getting scientific and going all micrometer.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Comment

• John Morgan
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by daruby View Post
      ...Since I have more than one of everything except the 8H Remington, it is simple without getting scientific and going all micrometer.
      Now that is THE funniest thing I have heard you say in my years on the Forum! This whole mouthpiece thing can surely give one a headache.
      John Morgan
      The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
      Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
      1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
      Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
      Year Round Except Summer:
      Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
      KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
      Summer Only:
      Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
      Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• notaverygoodname
        • Dec 2019

Originally posted by flotrb View Post
        My position is this: if the 90G is Conn's competitive presentation of an "upright large-bore valve trombone" special order, it was/is not unlike Conn to use whatever parts were available, coupled with the least amount of re-tooling ($$$). The .547" bore horns at the time were the 8H and 88H, so why re-tool?
        Here's what an 8H leadpipe looks like. That is not an off-the-shelf attachment for the 90G.
        Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.

Comment

• flotrb
          • Jan 2013

Here is an example from the Conn Gen II catalog describing "trombone lead pipes", "R" for Remington and "M" for Marcellus:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Tapers.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	117761

The problem with Conn "Remington" is this: either you have a Remington mouthpiece, which fits, OR you have a Conn adapter that converts a standard tenor shank to a Remington lead pipe. A standard large shank mouthpiece i.e. Bach 1½G will not fit...whether you have an adapter or not. The cheapest way out is to have/purchase the proper adapter, such as: http://www.hickeys.com/search.php?q=045889

No amount of "rigging" with plumber's Teflon tape is going to allow a mouthpiece, with an improper taper, to fit properly without some acoustical problems. You just cannot put 3 oz. of liquid in a 2 oz. cup.

This is from the Wedge mouthpiece Facebook page:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Wedge.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	117762
          Last edited by flotrb; 11-03-2020, 10:47 AM.
          flotrb

Доверяй, но проверяй
          (Trust, but verify)

Comment

• hntjr
            • Feb 2013

Sorry to be absent from my inquiry I posted. I have been very busy shingling my barn and my wife Charlotte had knee surgery so I have been doing doubly duty around the house as well as doing the shingling. Along the way I was able to pick up at Home Depot a necessary battery for my measuring calipers. I have a Bach Mouthpiece Manual. At the end, page 32, there are dimensions of Bach mouthpieces. In the opening page of the manual there is this "Vincent Bach was a rare combination of artist and engineer". With that in mind I wanted to use my calipers to do some measurements to help clarify what I was dealing with for myself and others:

end diameter 1" diameter
            Bach 6 1/2 AL .4250 .4750
            Conn 5 .4705 .5165
            Conn Adapter .4660 .5125
            Al Cass J1 .4365 .4755
            Remington G90 .5120 .5395

From Bach Mouthpiece Manual

Model #350 Sm Shank .4220 .4750
            Model #341 LG Shank .4960 .5460

Opening Receiver

Conn 25i .5105 1.0575 stop
            Conn 90G .5400 no stop

Conn 5 length 3.3175
            Bach 6 1/2 w/adapter 3.2725

So after looking at the data, the Remington mouthpiece that came with the Conn 90G looks very much like the dimensions of a Large shank mouthpiece. I was also curious about the Bach 6 1/2 AL using the Conn adapter vs the Conn 5 that came with my Conn 25i. I was wanting to know if there insertion was the same and would therefore give the same blow. There total length measurement was within .0450" using the Bach with adapter vs Conn 5. I was satisfied that was not enough to matter.

So I am going to order the Hickey adapter to bring my Al Cass and Bach 6 1/2 AL up to a large shank and see how that goes with my Conn 90G.

I appreciate all the feedback I have received. Have a good day. Nelson

Comment

Working...
            X