Thread: When should I buy a different mouthpiece?

1. Question When should I buy a different mouthpiece?

Hello,

I started playing in the band at the beginning of this school in August, and have practiced regularly since then. I use a Yamaha YEP-321 4 valve Euph and use the standard Yamaha 48 mouthpiece that came with it. I was wondering at what point I should look into getting a different mouthpiece, I've had no real issues with the mouthpiece, but then again I wouldn't really be able to tell anyways if I did. At the moment i'm still just working through a lot of the normal stuff that comes with learning a new instrument, but I've become fairly comfortable with it at this point. When would it be reasonable to try out new mouthpieces? I mostly am wanting to increase my higher range, so should i just focus on reaching higher notes with my current mouthpiece or should i try other pieces to see if they could help. Answers are appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!

The 48 is OK for where you are now. I'd think your range should extend for the "core" range of most band music, which is :
    bass clef: E below staff, to Bb an octave above the staff.
    treble clef: F# below the staff to C above the staff

You want to have enough strength to play nice melodies within a couple notes of the top/bottom of that range, maintaining a consistent tone. And you should be able to do lip slurs fairly well at slow tempo. Then if you would like a larger sound and a little more room to develop within the mouthpiece...

Paul Droste (former euphonium prof. at Ohio State) played on a 321 for a while as a Yamaha artist. He used a 51D and sounded quite good on it. The other choices that might improve the tone a bit would be a Bach 5G or maybe a Denis Wick 5BS.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Thank you for the advice Mr Werden! This forum and your videos on YouTube have been very useful for me starting out