Thread: Euphonium bell size

Euphonium bell size

Hi, I didn’t know where to post this so I’m posting in the general discussion.

I just got a Besson compensating euphonium (new standard I think) in satin silver today. It sounds amazing and I’d say the sound is a little brighter than my school owned XO but it sounds great for what I paid for.

The only thing I’m curious about is, does the bell size affect anything? This horn has an 11 inch bell and this is the first time I’ve played on an 11inch bell horn.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Generally speaking the larger bell provides a "larger" sound, whereas a smaller bell will provide a more focused sound with better clarity. I think most good players can make either the 11 or 12 inch bell work. If you were doing a lot of solo playing with a wind band or orchestra backing you up, you might want the larger bell to project a bigger sound. For smaller ensembles and things like tuba/euphonium quartets and solo playing with piano, the smaller bell might be a good choice. But, as I said at the top, either can work, you just get a little more or a little less of some things depending on your choice.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)