Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Introducing a new Euphonium to the market the ACB Doubler's Euphonium

1. Quote Originally Posted by Beef View Post
    Great answers! Here are a couple more questions.
    So the horn is yellow brass all throughout, including the lead pipe too?

You have also said that this is a more Besson inspired horn, do you know by chance what model this is inspired by and what changes you have made to make the horn still different aside from the price?
    Are the valve guides nylon or plastic?

How many microns thick is the silver plating? Is it on the thicker side or more reminiscent of yamaha horns?

Why .580 for the bore?

And finally, are replacement parts going to be easy to find?
    Again thanks for your great questions! Pardon the randomness of my replies!

The horn's outer slides are nickel trim to add a bit more definition to the attack. We tried nickel silver mouthpiece receivers but did not like the results.

The mouthpipe is primarily composed of yellow brass but has 5% more copper content to help with any potential wear issues. We didn't the acoustic result with anything over that in terms of the additional copper % in the pipe.

We chose this bore as it is a bit smaller than the standard compensating euph as we knew the primary market for these instruments will be either students getting their first euphonium, moving from their small shank baritone, or trombonists looking for an affordable option to double (hence our doubler name). We hope that makes it an easier transition.
    We are still considering doing something similar to the Yamaha 321 but I don't really see it in terms of the overall concept of what our doubler line is. In feel it's closest to a 967 with YB bell. Of course it's not going to have the refinement in the sound like an Adams, Besson, etc (we do sell both of those brands at the shop of course). With the bore we do the same on our high brass instruments with good success so our first factory order will be this bore. We can always change it in the future after some time on the marketplace and reviews.

The guides are plastic but I'm working on a metal option in the future although it's much louder in terms of the action and less smooth overall in the feel as well.

I've never been asked about the plating thickness so I'll ask the factory. It's robust on our high brass but I do not know the exact thickness.

Best,
    T
    Trent Austin
    Owner
    Austin Custom Brass
    www.austincustombrass.biz
    I started on Baritone BTW in 3rd grade band

2. Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Are there going to be bell options down the road?
    Most likely no as we have gone that route already on our high brass with not much success. It could happen as there's far less options than all of the high brass products at the moment but right now we're refining our Bass Trombone and .547 tenor options (we wanted to get the euphonium done before focusing on the Doubler trombone line).
    Trent Austin
    Owner
    Austin Custom Brass

3. Quote Originally Posted by spkissane View Post
    As a slight aside, I'd like to add a post here just to sing the praises of Austin Custom Brass's world-class customer service. The transactions I've had with them over the past year have been great, and they helped me locate and procure the horn I fell in love with even though it had made its way back overseas in the time it took me to make my mind up to buy it. Very communicative, very easy to work with, and very obviously passionate about brass instruments.

Sean,

Thank you for chiming in! We appreciate you! My staff is absolutely amazing and we work very hard to make sure everyone knows we are here for you. It's a huge passion of mine to ensure folks know that we are not a big-box store. Each call, email, and message are of paramount importance. We are finally dipping our toes into the low-brass world much more seriously than before. Most brass folks know our shop as being a trumpet specialty store but I am so thankful for these new opportunities to serve all of my brass family.

Best,
    T
    Trent Austin
    Owner
    Austin Custom Brass

4. Here's a video from Dr. Chris White comparing his current Euphonium to the Doubler. What are your thoughts in regards to this video?

Thanks for watching!
    -T
    Trent Austin
    Owner
    Austin Custom Brass

5. The 321 for me, and it's not especially close.
    Yours is less expensive--a better comp might be the entry level Yamaha.

The 3+1 will attract some people

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    The 321 for me, and it's not especially close.
    Could you elaborate a bit? I listened last night with good headphones and that was not my impression. What did you like about the 321 better? Tone? Or...?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Yours is less expensive--a better comp might be the entry level Yamaha.
    Isn't the 321 the entry level Yamaha (for 4 valves)? As their non-compensating model, I'm not aware they had a cheaper 4-valve option.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

7. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Isn't the 321 the entry level Yamaha (for 4 valves)? As their non-compensating model, I'm not aware they had a cheaper 4-valve option.
    I agree. The only other 4-valve non-compensating model Yamaha produces (as far as I'm aware) is the 621, which is a 3+1 setup, but I'm also pretty sure they're not readily imported into the U.S. market, and are more expensive than the 321.
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

I maintain what I said on YouTube. Maybe the microphone isn't telling the whole story, but the Doubler sounds really similar to the old Bessons, to me. Not my favorite Euphonium sound, but I liked the Yamaha even less. Seems like a pretty good deal. You get a more modern 12" bell and large shank receiver with the old school .580" bore and classic tone bath type of sound.
    Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.

9. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Could you elaborate a bit? I listened last night with good headphones and that was not my impression. What did you like about the 321 better? Tone? Or...?

Yeah. Tone. And maybe a slight nudge on intonation.

As a value proposition I meant compare it to the 200-series Yamahas...at that point the value proposition seems clear. The Yamaha 201 is $2K. So you're less expensive, you've got the fourth valve the Yamaha doesn't, and I'm guessing you're not getting beaten for tone.

And my preference for the 321 is obviously subjective... look at what NAVGN says just above. Sounds like an old Besson to him, which he's not over the moon about, but prefers it to the 321.

Thanks for clarifying the opinions already expressed. FWIW, during the 10 years I was a Besson artist I played on a 967, which had a 12" bell. large shank receiver, and a .580 bore. Perhaps this horn is made in that concept.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast