Thread: Woodstock Tuba Quartet

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)

Woodstock Tuba Quartet

Here is an interesting video of a "tuba quartet". Check out the instruments. If you had a big head like mine (with nothing in it), you might have a bit of a time getting into that instrument. Notice what looks like Lefreque plates attached to one of the smaller horns, I think tenor horns. One a 3 valve, the other a 4 valve, both with nice and easy looking triggers. I believe they are Miraphone horns. Don't know what the tuba/sousaphone/cimbasso thing is at all. I want one of those smaller horns, heck I want one of the larger, what a hoot.

That group would be great at an Oktoberfest celebration. I miss my days in Germany!
    Last edited by John Morgan; 10-13-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

That's a fun group for sure! If I were a tuba player who had to do stand-up gigs I'd want one of those. That started me thinking...does a euphonium have enough tubing to produce one with a wrap design. I'm thinking of taking the weight off your left arm and also getting the bell pointing forward. A solo instrument with an upward-pointing bell IS at a disadvantage sometimes.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

The crazy looking thing is what Miraphone calls a Python Tuba

The other instruments are a single Tenorhorn and a Baritone.

As for wrapped Euphonium, yeah, there have been Helikonform instruments in 9'Bb. They're really ugly and never high quality. If you must have one now, there's the famous Tenor Sousaphone from India and the Schiller Frankfurt "German Brass Band Euphonium". The Schiller is probably the higher quality instrument of the two, but it also costs $1000 more and won't look as good on your wall. Unfortunate, since that's where it should be spending most of its time.

*edit*
    If you need some added support for ergonomics reasons, I recommend giving the Neotech Brass Sling a shot.
    Last edited by notaverygoodname; 10-14-2020 at 02:28 AM.
    Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.

Thanks for that, John. It pulls at my heart, as my mom emigrated from Germany in 1928.

These ladies do justice over there, too: https://youtu.be/H_sBjG7pCRQ?list=LL

DDG

Very cool! Never seen the Python Tubas before. That would be great for standup gigs for sure. I noticed the baritone player using circular breathing at times. You can see him wince and puff his cheeks at times.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)