Thread: Loose slides

Question Loose slides

Didn't post in the forum for ages but here I'm back with a question:
    My newly acquired Yamaha 642 gives me real trouble with the slides. Especially the main slide and 3rd slide just keep coming out slowly while playing. I tried the Yamaha grease that came with the instrument, as well as la tromba grease and now JM no. 7 slide gel. With the gel on, it feels pretty tight but the slides keep coming out anyways. Any remedies known?

That's pretty frustrating when it happens. A good repair tech can adjust the inner slide so this doesn't happen. It is usually quick & easy for them.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Quote Originally Posted by BoneyFingersJones View Post
    Didn't post in the forum for ages but here I'm back with a question:
    My newly acquired Yamaha 642 gives me real trouble with the slides. Especially the main slide and 3rd slide just keep coming out slowly while playing. I tried the Yamaha grease that came with the instrument, as well as la tromba grease and now JM no. 7 slide gel. With the gel on, it feels pretty tight but the slides keep coming out anyways. Any remedies known?
    Take the horn to a brass shop and they will ever so slightly expand the slide legs. It is quick and inexpensive and the problem will be solved. Do not sweat over it! If it is a brand new horn the dealer should be able to do the work for you at no charge, assuming they are local. Still, you are probably looking at less than $25.00.

Yamaha made horns have quite loose slides, I have the same issue and I switched over to thicker slide gel to solve the issue. (partly because I didn't want to send it to the tech just yet.)
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Hetman has a new slide gel, Hetman 7.5. I've used Hetman 7 for many years and have been very happy with it, but the oil coming off the valves tended to remove it so that the slide would become more easily moved. Also Hetman 7 comes in a squeeze bottle that was very difficult to use; I actual broke the bottle once by squeezing it! Hetman 7.5 seems to have solved the oil issue *and* it comes in a hypodermic so it has been a real win for me (I play a Sterling Virtuoso FWIW) - Carroll