Thread: Besson 966 Euphonium

1. Besson 966 Euphonium

Selling a Besson 966 Euphonium, Circa 1980. Great condition for a horn that’s about 40 years old. Fairly uncommon horn, at least in the states. So uncommon that I didn’t know they made a 966, so I’ll give some info. 11 inch bell, medium large bore, super focused sound, great for a soloist. People who have played a 966 then moved to a 967/8 have noticed that the accuracy of the latter is significantly decreased from the former. Valves are great, they have the metal valve guides, so it can take some getting used to. A little noise, but that’s due to the age of the felts which can be replaced inexpensively. Replaced the springs with mead springs, but originals are included. Dent on bottom bow, does not affect playing. Comes with case that has seen better days, but I will package it safely and securely. Will ship a SM5U if you’re interested. $3000, willing to negotiate a little. Chem cleaned 2 months ago by Dillon's Music in Woodbridge NJ. Polished 1 month ago.
    Photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/W9Yw94r8xZa5AkiQ7

Welcome to the forum! The horn looks very nice, and you are correct that a Sovereign model that is not a 967/8 is a bit rare in the U.S.

Could you please confirm that you have read this post? Thanks.

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...Items-for-Sale
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Nice horn. Your serial number 966-741004 dates this to around 1985 or early 1986. This is consistent with the fact that this does not have the "Round Stamp" logo but the newer Besson logo that continued into the 1990s (at least). If it was 1980, it would have had the Round Stamp logo. Thus, your horn is around 35 years old or so.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

4. Yes I have!