Thread: Playing in Tune

1. Playing in Tune

Hi! I am a second year college student from Oklahoma. I have purchased a 1971 B&H Imperial and have been playing it for about 7 months now. While I love the sound and power of the horn I have had a lot of trouble being flat on this horn. On other horns I have had room to push in fom the tuning mark when I was flat but even pushed all the way in on this horn I average 10 cents flat. I have tried embouchure changes, focusing on direction of air in the mouthpiece, liping up and several other techniques but have had trouble getting any meaningful results. I play on a medium shank Schilke 51D. Any tips, tricks, advice, comiseration, or any comments are apprectiated! Or if you want to sell me a new horn thats cool too

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I have a B&H Imperial circa 1956. I can play my horn in tune, and I have the main slide out a little less than an inch. I am wondering about your mouthpiece. I use the original mouthpiece that came with my horn, a KosiKup 1 1/2. But a close copy is the Brian Bowman BB2EU. I have that one also. I would try a different mouthpiece. But first, if you are around other euphonium players, I would see if you could have them try your horn. Most probably won't have the medium shank sized mouthpiece, though. If you can clean your mouthpiece real good with disinfectant, then maybe some of them might try it. This would be useful to see perhaps if others get a different outcome than you. Using a good tuner, of course.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Intonation issues like this might also be caused by a small leak in the horn or by built-up crud inside. You might check with a technician for leaks and also to assess if the horn is clean inside.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium