Thread: Standard euphonium excerpts?

Standard euphonium excerpts?

Hi everybody!
    I’m taking a class this semester on preparing for auditions and we have to record 1-2 excerpts each week. They have provided lists for the standard orchestral instruments but I’ve been told to find my own. Does anybody have any recommendations? Or know where I might be able to find past audition lists for any military bands?

Thanks!

There are 54 titles, some with several excerpts, in "Euphonium Excerpts from the Standard Band and Orchestra Library." Brian Bowman and I both contributed to the book, and it was the first to be openly published (because we obtained proper legal permission from all the publishers involved). It includes 14 marches, 24 transcriptions (i.e. classical works arranged for band), 13 originally composed for band, 4 orchestra excerpts, and some audition advice from Dr. Bowman and me.

The excerpt book is available here:
    https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...2?aff_id=15680
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I should have mentioned... Many of the excerpts in this book were chosen because they often show up on military auditions, so it's a good list to draw from.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I recommend that one of the excerpts be Stars and Stripes. It’s not a glamorous one, but it’s been on every premier band audition I’ve taken and it’s never too early to start getting it perfect. It’s not one that’ll win you an audition, but it sure can lose you one if it’s not up to snuff.

Alex S

Thanks for the replies! I do have a copy of the book, and I will make sure to include Stars and Stripes!

6. On the subject of which excerpts from that book to select week to week, I would encourage *not* going through the book in page order, but rather picking from each of the major sections (as Dave mentioned, the book is sorted by Marches, Transcriptions, Original Band Compositions, and Orchestral Transcriptions). This way by the end of your school term/year, you have a good understanding of the various excerpts and major styles.

For audition lists, usually you can find old lists in pdf format by doing a general internet search and looking around the various military branch band websites. This search will help inform you of what excerpts tend to appear on audition rep lists. Stars and Stripes is definitely one that shows up fairly often, same with at least one of the Holst Suites, and something by Grainger (such as Colonial Song, Lincolnshire Posy and Molly on the Shore).

Side note: 1-2 march excerpts are essentially guaranteed to show up on any military audition rep list, with usually one by Sousa, so you'll definitely want to be familiar with the march style and unwritten performance rules that accompany them. There's a fantastic video by two euphonium players in The President's Own that provides an overview of march style. Highly recommend checking it out!

Here's a link to that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9kibOSP7sU
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)