Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trombone/euphonium mp's

1. I am sorry if I am getting a little out of topic but what would do you use on a german style oval bariton and tenorhorn? same as euphonium and british baritone?

Jose
    Some stuff

A lot of the reason that Euphonium and Trombone mouthpieces overlap is that the two instruments have similar tendencies in mouthpiece behavior and players are often looking for the same results. Not that you need a bucket or toilet bowl for either instrument, but the Trombone is more willing to accept a large mouthpiece because it's very cylindrical and the Euphonium likes a large cup volume because it is a very large volume conical instrument. Likewise, both can use large throat mouthpieces because the Trombone's cylindrical tubing requires a mouthpiece with less back pressure and the Euphonium can accept the additional air flow.

Quote Originally Posted by joshealejo View Post
    I am sorry if I am getting a little out of topic but what would do you use on a german style oval bariton and tenorhorn? same as euphonium and british baritone?

Jose
    No. Ovalform horns require smaller throats than what is normally used on Trombone or British Euphonium and they generally sound AWFUL with a v-cup. These horns have so little back pressure that the mouthpiece needs to provide it or else the tone quality will be quite poor. I'm sure there are other European venders for those things, but look at what Josef Klier sells to get an idea of the sizes and go from there. If you absolutely must buy something American or British styled, look for a Trombone mouthpiece with a small throat. 6mm throat is basically maximum for these horns. Shank size is also much more important to get right. My ovalforms are far more sensitive to gap issues than anything else I've ever played. As in, I literally had to ream a horn to adjust the gap by 1mm to make it play correctly.
    Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I've actually considered a Wick 6BL.
    You may also consider a Schilke 51D or its near relative, the Bowman BB1. I use an old Bach 6.5AL on my medium-bore trombone and I use the BB1 on euphonium. The rim sizes are similar, so you can probably adjust quickly from the 6.5AL, but the cups and bores are very different. The BB1 is a deeper mouthpiece. Thus I get characteristic sounds from each instrument.

I still find it funny that in college I used the 6.5AL on the school's American-style euphoniums, and I had the largest mouthpiece of anyone in the section. Since we weren't a music school, they never recruited any really good euphonium players and in those years I never even saw a British-style compensating euphonium.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

4. Quote Originally Posted by joshealejo View Post
    I am sorry if I am getting a little out of topic but what would do you use on a german style oval bariton and tenorhorn? same as euphonium and british baritone?

Jose
    One maker's opinion re: overlaps:
    https://www.deniswick.com/wp-content...ison-Chart.pdf

Baritone lumped into Euph section
    Trombone 4AL is described as "the classic euph"
    etc.

My second euph uses a 6AL on her Prestige and she's a good player. Doesn't miss a thing and has a decent sound - not very stylish, but then that's not her job to be. It's a lighter sound than I prefer. Personally I prefer a mouthpiece that is 26mm, and have played on pretty much every variable and the two I've stuck with longest are the 4AL, and the Bach 4G (I'm on a 4GB at the moment).

In my quest for a bigger, darker sound I fear that until recently I may have wandered off into "woolly" and the Bach rectifies this. Having said that, with no band at all likely for the foreseeable future I am not going to worry about as judge a sound by how it sits in an ensemble situation.
    Nowt

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    I agree that some trombone mouthpieces don't seem to produce the euphonium sound that I (or others) like. And I suppose vice-versa as well. I play both euphonium and trombone (a lot), so I have had the opportunity to switch mouthpieces around quite a bit. I can't remember which exactly, but I know I tried the Wick Heritage mouthpiece that I had for my trombone on my euphonium, and I didn't like the results at all.

However, when I went to ITEC 2019 in Iowa, I took along my Demondrae Warburton mouthpiece that I love and have been using on euphonium (Miraphone, Wessex, Adams) for over 6 years so that I could try out and play on a bunch of euphoniums at the vendors displays. Adams had brought along a new trombone that I tried and eventually bought. I only had the Demondrae mouthpiece to try on the Adams trombone, and I really liked it. In fact, I immediately liked the trombone and that mouthpiece with it. I figured when I got home with the new trombone I would try all of my trombone mouthpieces and see which one I would use. I did, and surprise, I liked the Demondrae the best. So to this day, I use the Demondrae (gold plated version) for my Adams E3 euphonium and a silver Demondrae (the one that originally came with my Miraphone M5050) for my Adams TB1 trombone. This also happens to be really convenient in that I have exactly the same mouthpiece for both euphonium and trombone. I do, however, have to play them a bit differently, for instance, I don't want my trombone to sound like a euphonium.

Another good example of doubling with the same mouthpiece is the Wick 4AL, which is listed as a trombone mouthpiece, but many euphonium players use it as their main mouthpiece.

FYI, John, Demondrae uses his MP on trombone as well.

I use a Warburton 7ST with a custom rim that’s the identical profile and size (1.03”) to the Demondrae. I do love that rim, and the switch back and forth is seamless.

Don

7. Quote Originally Posted by notaverygoodname View Post
    A lot of the reason that Euphonium and Trombone mouthpieces overlap is that the two instruments have similar tendencies in mouthpiece behavior and players are often looking for the same results. Not that you need a bucket or toilet bowl for either instrument, but the Trombone is more willing to accept a large mouthpiece because it's very cylindrical and the Euphonium likes a large cup volume because it is a very large volume conical instrument. Likewise, both can use large throat mouthpieces because the Trombone's cylindrical tubing requires a mouthpiece with less back pressure and the Euphonium can accept the additional air flow.

No. Ovalform horns require smaller throats than what is normally used on Trombone or British Euphonium and they generally sound AWFUL with a v-cup. These horns have so little back pressure that the mouthpiece needs to provide it or else the tone quality will be quite poor. I'm sure there are other European venders for those things, but look at what Josef Klier sells to get an idea of the sizes and go from there. If you absolutely must buy something American or British styled, look for a Trombone mouthpiece with a small throat. 6mm throat is basically maximum for these horns. Shank size is also much more important to get right. My ovalforms are far more sensitive to gap issues than anything else I've ever played. As in, I literally had to ream a horn to adjust the gap by 1mm to make it play correctly.
    Much appreciated for the recommendation!
    Some stuff

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by djwpe View Post
    FYI, John, Demondrae uses his MP on trombone as well.

I use a Warburton 7ST with a custom rim that’s the identical profile and size (1.03”) to the Demondrae. I do love that rim, and the switch back and forth is seamless.

Don
    Thanks for that piece of news, Don. I didn't know that at all. I was quite frankly very surprised that the Demondrae worked so well for me with the Adams trombone. I had to ask several of my trust worthy musician friends what they thought of the sound of the new Adams trombone with the Demondrae mouthpiece. They all liked it and said it sounded very "trombone like", which I think is a good thing.

Like you, having the same size and profile rim is really handy in going back and forth. I can literally put the euphonium down, pick up the trombone, and in 3 seconds be sounding just like I want to, and vice-versa. Very, very handy.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12