Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sterling Virtuoso Model and Serial Numbers

1. Sterling Virtuoso Model and Serial Numbers

Hi all,

In a previous posting, I had provided incomplete information about Sterling Virtuoso model numbers. After texting with Paul Riggett, I have the data:

1050 = baritone
    1065 = euphonium
    (there are others, but I don't know what they are)

H = Heavy bell - absence of the H means standard weight
    G = Gold Brass (same as "red brass") - absence of a G means Yellow brass.
    S = Silver plated

So for example:
    1065S = standard weight, yellow brass, with silver plating
    1065GS = standard weight gold brass with silver plating
    1065HS = heavy weight yellow brass with silver plating
    1065HGS = heavy weight, gold brass with silver plating.

These days, ALL Sterling horns are likely to be silver plate as I do not believe he makes lacquer horns any more. Also, other options such as gold plating of buttons, caps, and slide bows, triggers, and bell size, are not covered in the model number, but can be observed/measured directly. The bell sizes for euphs are 300mm (11.8"), 305mm (12"), and 310mm (12.2").

I think that is it..

Doug
    Last edited by daruby; 09-09-2020 at 12:34 PM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

2. Serial Number data

To follow up on the previous post. I do not believe that Sterling maintains exact records of their serial numbers, but for relative comparison:

1. Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium - 1065HGS 753776 dates to September, 2009.
    2. Sterling Virtuoso Baritone - 1050HGS 754325 dates to August, 2015 (6 years and 549 units later than #1)
    3. Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium - 1065HGS 754386 dates to sometime in 2016 (1 year and 61 units later than #2)

I seem to recall Paul Riggett saying he makes around 100-ish instruments per year. Another tidbit: All of the bells on the euphoniums are "spun" by Andy Taylor, formerly of Paxman and now proprietor of Taylor Trumpets. Taylor makes most all of the bells for Sterling, Paxman, and his own company.
    Last edited by daruby; 09-09-2020 at 03:04 PM.
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

That's Paxman. Some of the best french horns. https://www.paxman.org.uk/
    Last edited by daruby; 09-09-2020 at 03:05 PM.
    --
    Barry

4. Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    That's Paxman. Some of the best french horns. https://www.paxman.org.uk/
    Barry, thanks. I knew that but my brain was in reverse. Old age ya know!
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I hear you. same!
    --
    Barry

Thanks so much! That definitely does make sense. I'm going to assume that the "Gold Brass" is 85/15 alloy, though it could be 90/10.

The whole red brass, gold brass, rose brass confusion is something I see a lot of in the trombone world. It also carries over into the foundry world as well.

The alloys usually used are copper/zinc ratios of 70/30, 85/15, and 90/10, which are Yellow Brass, Gold/Rose Brass, and Red Brass. However sometimes the 85/15 is called "Red Brass".

To make matters worse, the foundries that produce brass have their own names for them. 70/30 is Cartridge Brass. 85/15 is "Red Brass" and 90/10 is "Commercial Bronze.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

7. Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Thanks so much! That definitely does make sense. I'm going to assume that the "Gold Brass" is 85/15 alloy, though it could be 90/10.

The whole red brass, gold brass, rose brass confusion is something I see a lot of in the trombone world. It also carries over into the foundry world as well.

The alloys usually used are copper/zinc ratios of 70/30, 85/15, and 90/10, which are Yellow Brass, Gold/Rose Brass, vulkanvegas.com/ca/category/classic-slots and Red Brass. However sometimes the 85/15 is called "Red Brass".

To make matters worse, the foundries that produce brass have their own names for them. 70/30 is Cartridge Brass. 85/15 is "Red Brass" and 90/10 is "Commercial Bronze.
    I agree with you.The entire red metal, gold metal, rose metal disarray is something I see a ton of in the trombone world. It additionally persists into the foundry world also.

The compounds normally utilized are copper/zinc proportions of 70/30, 85/15, and 90/10, which are Yellow Brass, Gold/Rose Brass, and Red Brass. Anyway in some cases the 85/15 is classified "Red Brass"

And then of course there is unalloyed Copper, which is used as the bell material of some high-brass horns, such as the Kanstul 1525. However, I have not seen pure Copper sheet used to form the bells of any euphonium yet
    G
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

9. Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    And then of course there is unalloyed Copper, which is used as the bell material of some high-brass horns, such as the Kanstul 1525. However, I have not seen pure Copper sheet used to form the bells of any euphonium yet
    G
    I think Kanstul's professional level euphs (the 975 and/or 976) had copper and bronze as options for bell material. However outside of them, I don't know of any other companies that offer it on euph.
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

I do recall Kanstul offering an optional Tin Bronze bell priced at about $275 for the 976 euphonium, which was the model with the user-removable/replaceable bell.... However, I do not seem to recall a pure Copper bell being available for either 976 or 975.

Regards, Guido
    Last edited by guidocorona; 07-30-2021 at 10:33 AM.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast