Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andrae Murchison - Jazz Setting of "Walk with Me"

Andrae Murchison - Jazz Setting of "Walk with Me"

Here is some very tasteful jazz euphonium (actually, a marching baritone): "Walk with Me" played by Andrae Murchison. Nice change of pace!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoYpUYRqLvc

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks for this great post, Dave!!
    Went to his site & checked out his
    wonderful stuff.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meters)
    Yamaha 642-II Neo, Wedge 103E, SM3.5
    Yamaha 321, Yamaha 621 Baritone
    Conn 50H trombone
    Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Ah, that's great -- a lovely soft sound from an instrument mostly played harshly and loud.

Quote Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
    Ah, that's great -- a lovely soft sound from an instrument mostly played harshly and loud.
    Indeed!

Thanks for sharing this Dave. I had not come across Andrae Murchison in all of my YouTubing, and I'm glad you brought this up. I really enjoyed listening to his music today. It's been a long time since I played a marching baritone and this made me want to get my hands on one!

Quote Originally Posted by aroberts781 View Post
    It's been a long time since I played a marching baritone and this made me want to get my hands on one!
    Well, there are a few up for sale now. Here are some horns listed as marching baritone
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

To tell you the truth, if I were to yield to temptation I'd get one myself! I had a good time last year playing one that Adams had on display.

Here is a photo (this is a marching euphonium, basically an Adams E1 in a different shape).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adams Marching Euph.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	592.6 KB 
ID:	7948
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

https://youtu.be/1ZTu2z1w1R8

Came across this fairly recently posted Andrae Murchison video on YouTube tonight and thought I would give this thread a little bump. Enjoy!
    Last edited by aroberts781; 03-30-2021 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Spelling

8. I really appreciate you putting this video up. For the folks thinking of getting a horn, just pay attention to the bell size and what the horn is called. The marching euphonium has a different sound than the horn in the video. So look for marching baritone or flugabone. Beautiful sound.
    Richard

1935 Conn 64I Baritone
    Mouthpieces: Too many to list and growing

Quote Originally Posted by aroberts781 View Post
    https://youtu.be/1ZTu2z1w1R8

Came across this fairly recently posted Andrae Murchison video on YouTube tonight and thought I would give this thread a little bump. Enjoy!
    Thanks for posting. Andrae rocks that horn. I really enjoyed that. I'm with Dave in his post a while back about possibly yielding to temptation and getting one. I would opt for this horn over the larger marching euphonium. This horn is closer to the flugabone. I am tempted to get one, but not sure which one to get. I know Wessex makes one and an outfit called Lake City Music makes one (I heard a video from a good player playing it, but the intonation sounded a little sketchy). I know the Wessex horn is made in China and I am pretty sure the Lake City one is, too.

Anyhow, a neat instrument played in this manner. I don't know for sure what I would do with one. First thing would be to hide it from Linda. Who has never said no to me in all the years of getting horns. But am I pressing my luck??!! Dave, you gonna take the leap??

Edit and more info: I said Lake City Music, actually sold here: https://shop.schmittmusic.com/lake-city-415-flugabone/ and here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTvPsUePN5g
    Last edited by John Morgan; 04-07-2021 at 02:52 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, Wessex EP-100 Dolce Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Wessex TE-360 Bombino Eb Tuba
    Rapid City New Horizons & Municipal Bands (Euphonium)
    Black Hills Symphony Orchestra (Bass Trombone), Powder River Symphony, Gillette, WY (Tenor Trombone)
    Black Hills Brass Quintet (Tuba)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Dave, you gonna take the leap??
    No, not me! At least, not until/unless I get rid of several cubic feet of other horns first!!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast