Thread: How to: Mouthpiece for 13mm receiver Tuba (Eb Bass/Contrabass Saxhorns)

How to: Mouthpiece for 13mm receiver Tuba (Eb Bass/Contrabass Saxhorns)

Yeah, there's probably some venders that sell this sort of thing, but if you know exactly what you need, then you don't have the scour the internet to find a guy that says he thinks he knows.

So, some really old Tubas have the same receiver as Besson medium shank. B&F stencil horns from Couesnon, Goumat, Bruno NY, etc... The kind of thing that you'd find in a catalog labeled "Contrabasse en Mib". This shank size is smaller than Bass Trombone shank, and larger than small tenor shank. It's also a different taper because of course it is.

Original specification is PROBABLY .460" (small end) @ 3 degree cone. I have had made a Josef Klier Tuba 9E on a 11.7mm shank with 1:19 taper. What's 1 MOA between friends? In the photo you can see that I damaged the Besson receiver a wee bit by using it to true up my original Eb Bass mouthpiece. lol... Other than that, it fits perfectly. If I run the mark through both horns, it is eventually completely removed.

Yes, it is possible to produce a Tuba mouthpiece in this shank with a backbore that plays in tune on Euphonium. My embouchure isn't really up to the task of playing the Euphonium with a toilet bowl, but I'm sure this is a very interesting prospect for many players.

Important detail:
    Use a full length Tuba blank! Do not use the short shank style that the original mouthpieces and Euphonium mouthpieces have. It makes for a terrible backbore. Intonation is incredibly limited with the short shank! With the full length shank, intonation is acceptable up to 8th partial on a ~130 year old horn being played by a mediocre hobbyist. Working mouthpiece full length is 3 3/4" (~98mm).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200905_162252.jpg  
    Last edited by notaverygoodname; 09-05-2020 at 10:43 PM.
    Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.