Thread: Practice mute general impressions

Practice mute reviews!

PRACTICE/TRAVEL/WARM-UP MUTE GENERAL IMPRESSIONS

EQUIPMENT USED:
    WILLSON 2900BS (DECEMBER 1985)
    KARL HAMMOND 11L

DISCLAIMER: THESE ARE MY OPINIONS BASED ON HAVING SPENT MANY HOURS ON EACH MUTE. YOUR EXPERIENCE MAY BE DIFFERENT, AND YOU MAY DISAGREE.

1ST PLACE: BEST BRASS WARM-UP MUTE - $167 Shipped
    First impression from several weeks ago: Very even response. No major tuning issues. Blows very well. Super light and compact enough!

• Fairly even response
    • Thins out in low register
    • Upper register is fairly resonant
    • Metallic sound, but not too buzzy
    • Tuning issues include slightly uneven octaves, but overall fairly even. Ab3 to D4 a little flat compared to mute sharpness, but not unbearably as in the Wick Travel
    • Very light, almost in-bell compactness (200 Grams/7 Ounces), weight is well-centered on the instrument
    • My Willson 2900BS still fits in a gig bag AND its hard case with the mute in. The mute sticks out about 1 inch/25MM.
    • Reduces decibel level by about 15dB.
    • Wrapping 2 layers of self-grip athletic tape on the neoprene creates a warmer tone, reduces sharpness by a few cents, reduces decibel levels maybe another 3dB, but does not significantly affect overall performance.
    • Another method is to add something dense inside the round dimple (I used a small quarter-sized piece of wall mounting putty). This reduces the volume by 5dB, but causes Eb3 & 4 and E3 & 4 to have a very live buzzy presence. I'm going to continue working on this dampening method.
    • Almost 2nd place. I like it just as much as the Silent Brass, and it is my top choice because of it's compactness and even-ness of blow.

IT IS MY OPINION THAT THIS IS THE BEST COMPACT PRACTICE MUTE FOR EUPHONIUM.

2ND PLACE: YAMAHA SILENT BRASS PM2 (DISCONTINUED MODEL) About $80 used.
    First impression from years ago: a little stuffy, well muted, but I was very impressed with the evenness of the blow. Kinda heavy, and a hassle to put it in and take it out. I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH THE NEW DESIGN.

• A little back pressure, but very even response throughout full range in blow and pitch center
    • A little thin in the upper register.
    • Hollow sounding in low register
    • Generally a warm sound
    • No major tuning issues aside from being sharp, slightly uneven octaves
    • Very top heavy, not compact, (800 Grams/1.8lbs),
    • Reduces decibel level by about 20dB
    • My favorite, except for the weight, so this is 2nd place.

IT IS MY OPINION THAT THIS IS THE BEST FULL-SIZED PRACTICE MUTE FOR EUPHONIUM.

3RD PLACE: STEVEN MEAD TRAVEL MUTE - $150 Shipped
    First impression from 3 months ago: a little stuffy, kinda metallic, very uneven, and pretty concerning pitch issues. Super light and compact.

• Surprisingly free-blowing, but very uneven response throughout full range in feel and pitch center
    • Thin upper register above F
    • Tinny lower register, a challenge to center
    • Generally a metallic sound, but not buzzy.
    • In-bell, compact, light weight (200 Grams/7 ounces), weight is well-centered on the instrument
    • Low Bb and below, very sharp unless you reshape mouth
    • Ab3, A3, Bb3, B3, C4 very flat relative to muted sharpness unless you reshape mouth
    • D4 is dead and unresponsive
    • Very uneven octaves
    • Reduces decibel level by about 15dB
    • Not my favorite, but love the compact-ness. 3rd Place!

SOLD IT AFTER 2 MONTHS. I DID NOT ENJOY PRACTICING WITH IT.

4TH PLACE: WALLACE M24C COMPACT WARM-UP MUTE - $140 Shipped
    First impression from a few weeks ago: It looked like it would get swallowed up by my bell, and I was right. The neoprene rubber gasket is too small. Mute top edge nearly touches (metal to metal). I fits a little better in Yamaha 321/421 and an older Besson I was able to try, but not my Willson 2900BS bell. I was able to create just enough of a seal to give it a try, but after a few moments it wiggled loose and started vibrating against my bell. I assume I would have to add a layer or two of neoprene foam sheet, or wrap several layers of self-stick athletic tape. Too much work for a mute I dislike for other reasons.

• Okay response, fairly even blow, with a little extra resistance in the lower register. Resistance is supposed to be adjustable, but I am not sure how to do it.
    • Good muting, nice warm sound.
    • Pedal register responds very well due to extra resistance, but is a little sharp relative to mute sharpness.
    • Mute plays a whole step sharp, as indicated on their website. Tuning is mostly even from Bb2 to F4, relative to sharpness, but unlike other mutes, I felt like all my pitches were too high (because they were) and kept second guessing my pitch slotting. Then, F#4 and above are a half step flat relative to mute sharpness. I had to go up one fingering to fix it. So after F4 on a Bb major scale I was finishing with a B major scale fingerings.
    • Completely in-bell and very light (maybe a little lighter than 200 Grams/7 Ounces). Weight is well-centered on the instrument.
    • Decibel reduction is very close to the Silent Brass. About 20dB.
    • If it wasn’t for the poor fit, flat upper register, and the odd whole-step-higher tuning I would rank this above the Mead Travel Mute, but it is simply not useable on my Willson 2900 without modification.
    Last edited by euphobone1; 03-16-2021 at 08:30 PM. Reason: UPDATE!!!
    Raul Escobar
    1985 Willson 2900BS, Hammond 11L
    1974 King 4BF Silver Sonorous, Hammond 12ML
    1972 King Duo Gravis, Hammond 20BLL

2. Useful. Thank you.

Agreed, this is a very useful description of these three mutes, thanks!
    I have the Steven Mead travel mute and for what I use it for I like it. It is incredibly light weight, fits completely inside the bell, and does reduce volume a decent bit. The Mead mute is great in that it stays in the bell all the time and I just have to pick up my horn and start playing. I personally prefer the Steven Mead practice/travel mute to the classic Wick practice mute (the black one).

I have noticed similar intonation tendencies with my mute, especially those very flat notes from Ab3 to C4. I play with practice mute fairly often out of consideration for other family members and this review has really made me consider the Silent Brass if intonation is so much better.

I misread your post! I just noticed today. YES, I think the best in-tune mute is definitely the Silent Brass, but it's heavy. I have no experience with the new version of the Euphonium Silent Brass mute, but just looking at pictures of it on a euphonium annoys me with how much hassle it it seems to be to put in and remove.

Overall, I would say the Best Brass is a better-in-tune COMPACT mute, relative to the sharpness practice mutes cause. I'm sure the flared mushroom-shaped top half helps. They are both comparable in regards to feel and blow. I think the Best Brass just edges past the Wick. I certainly was not happy with the Wick. I expect tuning issues, and response issues with mutes, but I just couldn't deal with the issues I experienced with the Wick. Just not working for me. I hope a sshhmute is developed. When I emailed Bremner about it, one was in the works, but Covid slowed it down indefinitely. I love the trombone sshhmute.
    Last edited by euphobone1; 09-16-2020 at 05:42 PM.
    Raul Escobar
    1985 Willson 2900BS, Hammond 11L
    1974 King 4BF Silver Sonorous, Hammond 12ML
    1972 King Duo Gravis, Hammond 20BLL