X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YEP i play a yamaha
    • Apr 2020

willson 51D vs schilke 51D difference?

Hello, though putting my username to shame, I recently rented out a willson 2900TA for wind ensemble. i am using the OEM mouthpiece, which is marked as 51D, but feels larger then my schilke 51d. What is the difference?

and on a somewhat related note, where are some good places to find euro shank mouthpieces? I try to find some good deals used, but they are non existent on sites like Ebay, and other sites dont have a lot of variety.

Cheers!
  • Fujiifilm
    • Mar 2011

I can't speak to the difference(s) between the Schilke and Willson 51D as I've never tried them, but in regards to your second question:

Medium/euro shank mouthpieces are a little harder to find used, though they do appear from time to time on places like eBay, the Buy/Sell subforum here, and on Dillon Music's website. You just have to keep an eye out and check every so often. I found the Denis Wick I use on my Willson 2900 through eBay.

For new, in general you'll be looking at Schilke (though the euro shank is a special order from them, and as such is usually a little more expensive new), Denis Wick (the 4AM or 6BM I believe, the "M" standing for medium/euro shank. Same sizing as the 4AL/4AY and 6BL/6BS as well as the Steven Mead SM series), Griego (they restarted production of the Brian Bowman mouthpieces previously produced for DEG) and Giddings has a few mouthpieces in medium shank as well. There are others out there of course, but the ones listed are generally the more common brands you'll find new/used.

You can usually find at least a few of these direct through the manufacturer's websites (specifically Griego and Giddings), and/or through dealers like WWBW/Musicians' Friend, Dillon Music, Baltimore Brass, and The HornGuys, to name a few.
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

Comment

• MichaelSchott
      • Mar 2012

Euro (medium) shank mouthpieces are made by most manufacturers especially Wick. It’s true they may need to be special order it from a distributor. Last I checked they are not available from Wedge or K and G. Mine is from Doug Elliott and I also tried one from Warburton.

Comment

• mbrooke
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by MichaelSchott View Post
        Euro (medium) shank mouthpieces are made by most manufacturers especially Wick. It’s true they may need to be special order it from a distributor. Last I checked they are not available from Wedge or K and G. Mine is from Doug Elliott and I also tried one from Warburton.
        Hi Michael,

They are available from Wedge. You can also get euro shank from Giddings, Laskey, Parker, and K&G announced that they will have them sometime later this year.

Mike

Comment

• MichaelSchott
          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by mbrooke View Post
          Hi Michael,

They are available from Wedge. You can also get euro shank from Giddings, Laskey, Parker, and K&G announced that they will have them sometime later this year.

Mike
          Thanks. That’s new for Wedge but it’s been a few years since I checked. It’s about time for K&G. I wanted to try their mouthpiece last December when I was in the market.

Comment

Working...
          X