Thread: willson 51D vs schilke 51D difference?

1. willson 51D vs schilke 51D difference?

Hello, though putting my username to shame, I recently rented out a willson 2900TA for wind ensemble. i am using the OEM mouthpiece, which is marked as 51D, but feels larger then my schilke 51d. What is the difference?

and on a somewhat related note, where are some good places to find euro shank mouthpieces? I try to find some good deals used, but they are non existent on sites like Ebay, and other sites dont have a lot of variety.

Cheers!

2. I can't speak to the difference(s) between the Schilke and Willson 51D as I've never tried them, but in regards to your second question:

Medium/euro shank mouthpieces are a little harder to find used, though they do appear from time to time on places like eBay, the Buy/Sell subforum here, and on Dillon Music's website. You just have to keep an eye out and check every so often. I found the Denis Wick I use on my Willson 2900 through eBay.

For new, in general you'll be looking at Schilke (though the euro shank is a special order from them, and as such is usually a little more expensive new), Denis Wick (the 4AM or 6BM I believe, the "M" standing for medium/euro shank. Same sizing as the 4AL/4AY and 6BL/6BS as well as the Steven Mead SM series), Griego (they restarted production of the Brian Bowman mouthpieces previously produced for DEG) and Giddings has a few mouthpieces in medium shank as well. There are others out there of course, but the ones listed are generally the more common brands you'll find new/used.

You can usually find at least a few of these direct through the manufacturer's websites (specifically Griego and Giddings), and/or through dealers like WWBW/Musicians' Friend, Dillon Music, Baltimore Brass, and The HornGuys, to name a few.
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

Euro (medium) shank mouthpieces are made by most manufacturers especially Wick. It’s true they may need to be special order it from a distributor. Last I checked they are not available from Wedge or K and G. Mine is from Doug Elliott and I also tried one from Warburton.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    Euro (medium) shank mouthpieces are made by most manufacturers especially Wick. It’s true they may need to be special order it from a distributor. Last I checked they are not available from Wedge or K and G. Mine is from Doug Elliott and I also tried one from Warburton.
    Hi Michael,

They are available from Wedge. You can also get euro shank from Giddings, Laskey, Parker, and K&G announced that they will have them sometime later this year.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    Hi Michael,

They are available from Wedge. You can also get euro shank from Giddings, Laskey, Parker, and K&G announced that they will have them sometime later this year.

Mike
    Thanks. That’s new for Wedge but it’s been a few years since I checked. It’s about time for K&G. I wanted to try their mouthpiece last December when I was in the market.