Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium

1. Thumbs up FS: Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium (SOLD)

I can’t really put into words how well this instrument has treated me. So many auditions, concerts, and hours practicing were spent between us. I have always taken solid care of it with monthly cleaning and yearly professional cleaning. The horn is very special and is capable of producing a beautiful, huge, and dark sound. Ergonomically, the long lead pipe really makes this horn feel very secure and comfortable with my slender frame. There are a couple small “mute” dents on the bell and small surface scratches around the horn that come from the dedicated use of an instrument. I’m the second owner of the horn, I bought it basically new from a person that must have hardly used the horn because it was cosmetically perfect when I received it. The previous owner had the trigger removed, not really sure why… However, I was in the process of getting one installed when I decided to purchase my dream horn. I have the UN-MACHINED parts for the trigger that Paul Riggett (the manufacturer of the horn) sent me. These, I will include with the horn, but will take a skilled instrument technician to install. I’m also including a silver SM4X mouthpiece.

I’m asking $4,500 for the horn. Open to offers.

I’m located in Bloomington Indiana.

Feel free to message me with questions. You can also email me at capperhoward2@gmail.com.

Also, here is a google drive file with pictures of the horn. I couldn't upload a couple of them through the forum.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...iI?usp=sharing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200830_112714.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	4.49 MB 
ID:	7930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200830_112735.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	4.10 MB 
ID:	7931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200830_112855.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	7926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200830_112548.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	7928Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200830_112621.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	7932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200830_112756.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	4.14 MB 
ID:	7927Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200830_112931.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	4.08 MB 
ID:	7925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200830_112751.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	7929Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200830_113108.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	7922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200830_113023.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	4.33 MB 
ID:	7923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200830_113031.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	3.95 MB 
ID:	7924
    Last edited by Capperhoward2; 09-17-2020 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Sold!

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your sale. Looks to be a great horn!
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

3. Hello sir,

A couple of questions that you could answer, please. I can tell by looking that this is a "younger" Sterling (than my 2009) since it has the newer valves. Can you provide a few more details that would help identify the "Custom" aspects of the horn. You have the gold plated valve caps and finger buttons, but not gold plated slides. Very attractive horn and clearly in great shape.

1. Bell Size and composition (red brass, yellow brass, heavy, etc.).
    2. Model/Serial number found on inner side of the bell near the joint with the bottom bow. Ex: mine is 1065HGS 753776. The HGS stands for Heavy bell, UPDATEgold brass), Silver finish (I think).

I noticed you are student of Demondrae Thurman at IU. What is your new horn choice? A Miraphone 5050? Also, give Joe Broom my best. How is he doing?

Doug Ruby
    Last edited by daruby; 09-02-2020 at 08:19 PM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

4. Hello Doug,

I'm not exactly sure of the bell composition: Is there a straight forward way to tell? However, I do know that the bell is just over 12 inches.
    Funny enough, my instrument is also a 1065HGS. The serial no. is 754386.

I am a student of Demondrae's! I found a great deal on a Yamaha 842TS! I think the Miraphone's play brilliantly, but they are just a little too large for me to hold!

From what I know Joe is doing awesome! Unfortunately, because of the pandemic our masterclasses have been split up so I haven't talked to him this semester.

Thank you,
    Capper

5. Quote Originally Posted by Capperhoward2 View Post
    I'm not exactly sure of the bell composition: Is there a straight forward way to tell? However, I do know that the bell is just over 12 inches. Funny enough, my instrument is also a 1065HGS. The serial no. is 754386.
    Capper,

My euphonium is 1065HGS 753776 and dates to September, 2009. My Sterling Virtuoso baritone (1050HGS 754325) dates to August, 2015 and is 6 years and 549 instruments newer. Your euphonium is 61 instruments "newer" than that. So I would guess it to be a 2016 (approx.) instrument. I seem to recall Paul Riggett saying he makes around 100-ish instruments per year.

The 1065 is model number, the HGS means: H (heavy bell), G (gold trim), and S (Silver finish) - (I think). I will check with Paul to make sure..

The bell sizes are 300mm (11.8"), 305mm (12"), and 310mm (12.2"). If yours is "just over 12", it likely is a 310mm.

Another tidbit: All of the bells are "spun" by Andy Taylor, formerly of Paxman French Horns and now proprietor of Taylor Trumpets. Taylor makes most all of the bells for Sterling, Paxman, and his own company.

Doug
    Last edited by daruby; 09-09-2020 at 03:08 PM.
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Doug, while we await Paul's response, my recollection was that the "G" stood for gold brass bell.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

7. Thanks. I was confused about that. Though I am pretty certain mine is Red brass...But I will check. I know the "H" is for Heavy.
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Thanks. I was confused about that. Though I am pretty certain mine is Red brass...But I will check. I know the "H" is for Heavy.
    I'm anxious to hear the answer! I had a red brass bell, but it had the G indicator. Paul once mentioned there is a problem with nomenclature in the difference between red and gold brass. But perhaps my horn actually had gold brass, and not red.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

9. Thank you so much for your help! I'm also really interested to see what the bell material is.

10. Capper,

If the G means "gold brass", then we don't really have an answer on the material. I will check with Paul.
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast