X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Capperhoward2
    • Apr 2017

FS: Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium

I can’t really put into words how well this instrument has treated me. So many auditions, concerts, and hours practicing were spent between us. I have always taken solid care of it with monthly cleaning and yearly professional cleaning. The horn is very special and is capable of producing a beautiful, huge, and dark sound. Ergonomically, the long lead pipe really makes this horn feel very secure and comfortable with my slender frame. There are a couple small “mute” dents on the bell and small surface scratches around the horn that come from the dedicated use of an instrument. I’m the second owner of the horn, I bought it basically new from a person that must have hardly used the horn because it was cosmetically perfect when I received it. The previous owner had the trigger removed, not really sure why… However, I was in the process of getting one installed when I decided to purchase my dream horn. I have the UN-MACHINED parts for the trigger that Paul Riggett (the manufacturer of the horn) sent me. These, I will include with the horn, but will take a skilled instrument technician to install. I’m also including a silver SM4X mouthpiece.

I’m asking $4,500 for the horn. Open to offers.

I’m located in Bloomington Indiana.

Feel free to message me with questions. You can also email me at capperhoward2@gmail.com.

Also, here is a google drive file with pictures of the horn. I couldn't upload a couple of them through the forum.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...iI?usp=sharing

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200830_112714.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.49 MB
ID:	125639Click image for larger version

Name:	20200830_112735.jpg
Size:	4.10 MB
ID:	125640Click image for larger version

Name:	20200830_112855.jpg
Size:	3.50 MB
ID:	125635Click image for larger version

Name:	20200830_112548.jpg
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	125637Click image for larger version

Name:	20200830_112621.jpg
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	125641Click image for larger version

Name:	20200830_112756.jpg
Size:	4.14 MB
ID:	125636Click image for larger version

Name:	20200830_112931.jpg
Size:	4.08 MB
ID:	125634Click image for larger version

Name:	20200830_112751.jpg
Size:	3.54 MB
ID:	125638Click image for larger version

Name:	20200830_113108.jpg
Size:	3.50 MB
ID:	125631Click image for larger version

Name:	20200830_113023.jpg
Size:	4.33 MB
ID:	125632Click image for larger version

Name:	20200830_113031.jpg
Size:	3.95 MB
ID:	125633
    Last edited by Capperhoward2; 09-17-2020, 02:18 PM. Reason: Sold!
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your sale. Looks to be a great horn!
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• daruby
      • Apr 2006

Hello sir,

A couple of questions that you could answer, please. I can tell by looking that this is a "younger" Sterling (than my 2009) since it has the newer valves. Can you provide a few more details that would help identify the "Custom" aspects of the horn. You have the gold plated valve caps and finger buttons, but not gold plated slides. Very attractive horn and clearly in great shape.

1. Bell Size and composition (red brass, yellow brass, heavy, etc.).
      2. Model/Serial number found on inner side of the bell near the joint with the bottom bow. Ex: mine is 1065HGS 753776. The HGS stands for Heavy bell, UPDATEgold brass), Silver finish (I think).

I noticed you are student of Demondrae Thurman at IU. What is your new horn choice? A Miraphone 5050? Also, give Joe Broom my best. How is he doing?

Doug Ruby
      Last edited by daruby; 09-02-2020, 08:19 PM.
      Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
      Concord Band
      Winchendon Winds
      Townsend Military Band

Comment

• Capperhoward2
        • Apr 2017

Hello Doug,

I'm not exactly sure of the bell composition: Is there a straight forward way to tell? However, I do know that the bell is just over 12 inches.
        Funny enough, my instrument is also a 1065HGS. The serial no. is 754386.

I am a student of Demondrae's! I found a great deal on a Yamaha 842TS! I think the Miraphone's play brilliantly, but they are just a little too large for me to hold!

From what I know Joe is doing awesome! Unfortunately, because of the pandemic our masterclasses have been split up so I haven't talked to him this semester.

Thank you,
        Capper

Comment

• daruby
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Capperhoward2 View Post
          I'm not exactly sure of the bell composition: Is there a straight forward way to tell? However, I do know that the bell is just over 12 inches. Funny enough, my instrument is also a 1065HGS. The serial no. is 754386.
          Capper,

My euphonium is 1065HGS 753776 and dates to September, 2009. My Sterling Virtuoso baritone (1050HGS 754325) dates to August, 2015 and is 6 years and 549 instruments newer. Your euphonium is 61 instruments "newer" than that. So I would guess it to be a 2016 (approx.) instrument. I seem to recall Paul Riggett saying he makes around 100-ish instruments per year.

The 1065 is model number, the HGS means: H (heavy bell), G (gold trim), and S (Silver finish) - (I think). I will check with Paul to make sure..

The bell sizes are 300mm (11.8"), 305mm (12"), and 310mm (12.2"). If yours is "just over 12", it likely is a 310mm.

Another tidbit: All of the bells are "spun" by Andy Taylor, formerly of Paxman French Horns and now proprietor of Taylor Trumpets. Taylor makes most all of the bells for Sterling, Paxman, and his own company.

Doug
          Last edited by daruby; 09-09-2020, 03:08 PM.
          Concord Band
          Winchendon Winds
          Townsend Military Band

Comment

• davewerden
            Administrator
            • Nov 2005

Doug, while we await Paul's response, my recollection was that the "G" stood for gold brass bell.
            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
            Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
            Adams Artist (Adams E3)
            Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
            YouTube: dwerden
            Facebook: davewerden
            Twitter: davewerden
            Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• daruby
              • Apr 2006

Thanks. I was confused about that. Though I am pretty certain mine is Red brass...But I will check. I know the "H" is for Heavy.
              Concord Band
              Winchendon Winds
              Townsend Military Band

Comment

• davewerden
                Administrator
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by daruby View Post
                Thanks. I was confused about that. Though I am pretty certain mine is Red brass...But I will check. I know the "H" is for Heavy.
                I'm anxious to hear the answer! I had a red brass bell, but it had the G indicator. Paul once mentioned there is a problem with nomenclature in the difference between red and gold brass. But perhaps my horn actually had gold brass, and not red.
                Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                YouTube: dwerden
                Facebook: davewerden
                Twitter: davewerden
                Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Capperhoward2
                  • Apr 2017

Thank you so much for your help! I'm also really interested to see what the bell material is.

Comment

• daruby
                    • Apr 2006

Capper,

If the G means "gold brass", then we don't really have an answer on the material. I will check with Paul.
                    Concord Band
                    Winchendon Winds
                    Townsend Military Band

Comment

• tbonesullivan
                      • Jul 2019

My Perantucci Sterling is also stamped 1065HGS. Serial number 753534. It is fully silver plated, no gold whatsoever. It's from before they started using the "Virtuoso" name I believe.

Either way, I can't see why someone would take the trigger of if one was already installed. Was it getting in the way? Wouldn't the main tuning slide just fall out without the trigger mechanism?
                      Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Comment

Working...
                      X