Thread: Online Teaching/Learning

1. Online Teaching/Learning

Like many others, I’ve been teaching through FaceTime and Zoom since March. It’s been a real adjustment. On the positive side, I’ve been forced to tighten up and simplify my verbal instructions. On the negative side, I can only approximate the student’s sound. I feel like I’m only seeing and hearing around 85% of the student’s sound, breathing, posture, and body language. Also there’s a slight lag which drives me crazy.

How is everyone else adjusting to online lessons? Particularly, what have you found effective and ineffective? Would love to hear from both teachers and students.

Martin
    Martin Cochran
    Adams Performing Artist
    mceuph75@gmail.com

2. For me it's much more usable than I thought it would be. I have several students who I teach blended (virtually one week and in-person in a large space the next) and one who I've only ever taught remotely (he started with me a couple months ago). The kid who I've only taught remotely has made an astounding amount of progress. The medium is usable and he listens and practices. I use Google Meet with him and have not encountered any major technical issues. My friends with huge middle and high school studios love it because they no longer have to spend hours commuting to schools.
    JACE VICKERS, DMA
    Assistant Director of Bands
    Assistant Professor of Low Brass
    East Central University

I just saw this morning that Zoom has a new audio mode that is better for music. See more here:

https://www.scoringnotes.com/news/be...idelity-audio/
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium