• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

HBC Impressions

I just began testing the medium and large HBC caps on my Adams. I'll save my own impressions for a bit (and I'm still fussing around with things), but here is a video where I did a comparison back-to-back with the Adams standard 4th cap, the HBC medium cap, and the HBC heavy cap.

Of course the sound output is not the only relevant factor; the "feel" is also involved. And even with sound, when I record in the basement I have to use close-mic'ing. Normally when doing that I add some reverb, but this recording is untouched. So you are hearing what comes off the bell, but you might hear a different effect in a large room. (No large room is available to me right now.) Nevertheless I think you may hear a difference, and that difference seems to match what I hear from behind the mouthpiece.

See what you think, and please comment!

https://youtu.be/LNVoANFHuHc

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium
  • RickF
    • Jan 2006

Nice comparisons. I can definitely hear more sound - or more presence of sound with the heavy cap. Any difference between the medium heavy and heavy is very subtle to my ear.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches

El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    The Cowboys (John Williams, arr. James Curnow)
    Festive Overture (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Comment

• longhornpatino
      • Jan 2014

Excellent video, thank you. The difference between standard and heavy HBC blows my mind a bit. To my ear, through very decent loudspeakers, your sound with the heavy HBC sounds rich and more focused into the forefront of where I perceive the sound to exist. The sound with the standard cap is a bit more dispersed. I can almost equate the effect of the heavy HBC to bringing a pair of speakers into proper phase with each other and the sound that results. As Rick stated, it affects the presence of sound, and for me, spatially translocates it to a sweet spot in my audio field.

Comment

• dsurkin
        • Feb 2014

If I understand this correctly, you install one HBC on your fourth valve and it affects the entire range of the horn, even when not using the fourth valve?
        Dean L. Surkin
        Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
        Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
        Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
        See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Comment

• John Morgan
          • Apr 2014

I can definitely hear a distinct difference between the standard cap and both of the heavy caps in Dave's videos. The full sized heavy cap delivers a more robust sound, yet at the same time, a "cleaner" sound. More presence, more fullness. That is not to say that the standard cap is somehow lacking or doesn't sound good, it just does not have quite the body of the bigger caps. I hear the difference with the 1/2 heavy cap, but to a lesser degree. These changes might appear somewhat subtle to the casual listener, but to me, they are clearly evident.

I just got through testing and evaluating a heavy cap and 1/2 heavy cap, compliments of Doug Ruby. I quickly gravitated to the full sized heavy cap and used it for two weeks, playing an hour or two each day. I must admit that I was pretty much a non-believer and skeptic in these heavy bottom caps prior to trying them. No more, I like the heavy cap and the difference it makes on my horn with me playing it. Besides the differences that one hears, there is also a difference in the general feel of playing and the resonance in the horn, both "improved" with the use of the heavy cap. I can't confirm for sure that the heavy cap was the reason, but I believe the heavy cap gave me a better outcome when playing in the extremely high range (let's call that the notes above high Bb, say up to high F). I can generally play up to F above high Bb, but many times the note is not as solid, full, etc. as I would like. I was able to play these notes with significantly more fullness of tone and stability using the heavy cap. I have no idea scientifically why this may be possible, but nonetheless, that is what I noticed, and I tested and tried high range playing many times while using the heavy bottom cap.

I will be getting my own heavy bottom cap.
          Last edited by John Morgan; 08-28-2020, 10:21 AM.
          John Morgan
          The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
          Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
          1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
          Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
          Year Round Except Summer:
          Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
          KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
          Summer Only:
          Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
          Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• daruby
            • Apr 2006

Dean,

On a compensating euphonium, air flow passes through the 4th valve casing whether you use it or not. If you push down the 4th valve, it passes through twice. The theory is that the large weight at the end of the 4th valve lowers the harmonic frequency at which it will resonate, thus stabilizing the response of the horn.

Doug
            Last edited by daruby; 08-28-2020, 01:08 PM.
            Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
            Concord Band
            Winchendon Winds
            Townsend Military Band

Comment

• davewerden
              Administrator
              • Nov 2005

Another point about a heavy 4th cap: that valve casing is not as well braced as 1-2-3 because the first 3 have more ports in & out. So I figured the heavy cap helps stabilize that 4th valve kinda hanging out on its own. (Only my theory - I have never heard a complete explanation.)

Anyway, since all air passes through the 4th valve, as Doug said, it seems likely it could affect the entire range. When designing the Hirsbrunner prototype euphonium it was discovered that the pipe from the 1-2-3 group to the 4th valve is a fairly critical piece. They changed the curve of that one piece and found an improvement overall. So it stands to reason (again, in my own mind) that a 4th valve casing that sorta "flops around" could also affect many things.

Also of note, the HBC folks say that using their product on only the 'last' valve is best (so, 3 on a 3-valve and 4 on a 4-valve horn). Adding more weights to the other valves has either a diminished effect or can actually be counter-productive.
              Last edited by davewerden; 08-28-2020, 11:40 AM.
              Dave Werden (ASCAP)
              Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• DaveBj
                • Oct 2011

Stupid question -- are the threads on all euphoniums identically pitched, or does the manufacturer have to make different HBCs for different brands?
                David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
                2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
                2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
                2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
                Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
                Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Comment

• daruby
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by DaveBj View Post
                  Stupid question -- are the threads on all euphoniums identically pitched, or does the manufacturer have to make different HBCs for different brands?
                  Dave, good question. Threads are different based on brand and when the horn was built. Older English Besson are not the same as newer Besson. Older Sterling, Willson, Adams, and probably Hirschbrunner are the same because they are all based on the Bauerfeind valveset that they all used at one time. Newer Sterling used a different valveset and I do not know if the thread and diameter are the same. I also suspect that Yamaha is different from all of the above. The folks at HBC can give advice, I am sure.

Doug
                  Concord Band
                  Winchendon Winds
                  Townsend Military Band

Comment

• davewerden
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2005

As of right now, here is my valve cap arsenal:

Click image for larger version

Name:	HBC Lineup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	678.4 KB
ID:	117732

For today's practice I'm using the medium HBC cap. I'm trying to decide if I lose a little responsiveness as I add the heavier cap(s). It would seem logical, but I suppose an argument could be made on the other side. Anyway, that is not something I can record to assess later!
                    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Comment

• daruby
                      • Apr 2006

Dave Weden

Noticing that the weight/size of the full size HBC is quite a bit more than the Sterling heavy cap, I just put a message into Chris to see if I could get an Adams/Sterling HBC and insert in gold plate. This would match either of my horns and be an interesting experiment for me. Right now I am using the Sterling 1/2 weight on my Sterling and the Sterling full weight on my Adams.

Doug
                      Concord Band
                      Winchendon Winds
                      Townsend Military Band

Comment

• ChristianeSparkle
                        • Jun 2018

I can confirm that Yamaha (at least the 642 Neo) has the same thread as a Sterling Virtuoso. Me and my section mate swapped 4th valve caps a few weeks ago, as he let me test out the Sterling heavy cap.

Originally posted by daruby View Post
                        Dave, good question. Threads are different based on brand and when the horn was built. Older English Besson are not the same as newer Besson. Older Sterling, Willson, Adams, and probably Hirschbrunner are the same because they are all based on the Bauerfeind valveset that they all used at one time. Newer Sterling used a different valveset and I do not know if the thread and diameter are the same. I also suspect that Yamaha is different from all of the above. The folks at HBC can give advice, I am sure.

Doug
                        "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
                        Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Comment

• dsurkin
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by daruby View Post
                          Dean,

On a compensating euphonium, air flow passes through the 4th valve casing whether you use it or not. If you push down the 4th valve, it passes through twice. The theory is that the large weight at the end of the 4th valve lowers the harmonic frequency at which it will resonate, thus stabilizing the response of the horn.

Doug
                          Thank you, Doug. Makes sense to the junior-boy scientist in me.
                          Dean L. Surkin
                          Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
                          Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
                          Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
                          See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Comment

• Chris Waters
                            Sponsor
                            • Jul 2020

Hello from us at HBC here in Blighty!

As players and as engineers, it's been rivetingly interesting over the years to measure the threads for all the Euphoniums we make 4th HBCs for. To calculate the thread for each instrument, we measured the thread pitch, real pitch, crest flat, crest radius maximum, root radius, thread depth, flank length, major diameter, minor diameter and pitch diameter. The final calculation involves modifying those dimensions to cater for the 24 microns (μm) of silver plate we apply to each 4th HBC and from this, the thread can be cut and HBCs electro-plated. 1 mincon = 0.001 mm or in Imperial 0.00003937". God bless the Zeus Engineering Handbook - invaluable!

There are currently eleven Euphonium Brands that we make 4th HBCs for, with these Brands being sub-divided into various Models of Adams, Besson, Boosey & Co., Boosey & Hawkes, Geneva, Hirsbrunner, John Packer, Sterling, Wessex, Willson and Yamaha. Within the Brands/Models there are also sub-divisions of thread size; for example there are no less than three different threads for the current Besson range, with the Prestige 2051 being different to the Prestige 2052. Equally so the Yamaha Professional and Neo Models have a different thread to the Custom.

There's no surprise of course that most Chinese manufacturers like Jinbao copied the Bauerfeind valve group dimensions for Euphoniums and other brass instruments, as evidenced through our thread measuring of their instruments.

An astonishing find was that from 1923 to 1994+, the Boosey & Co/Boosey & Hawkes 4th Euphonium thread remained the same! We measured a Boosey & Co Class A Solbron Imperial Euphonium serial number 112137 made in November 1923 and not only was it the same as a 1982 Boosey & Hawkes "Round Stamp Globe" Sovereign but as a 1994 Edgware production Besson Sovereign too! Obviously in 1923 it was an Imperial thread and the same dimensions used through to 1994/possibly a bit beyond (sensible engineering). ISO metric threads then took-over with German production of Besson.

We also make 3rd HBCs for Sopranos, Cornets, Flugel Horns (3rd & 4th) and Tenor Horns, varyingly for Adams, Bach, B&S, Besson, Boosey & Hawkes, Couesnon, Courtois, Eclipse, Geneva, John Packer, Schilke, Sterling, Stomvi, Taylor and Yamaha. 'twas the same calculation process for each, so we now have a very detailed database of virtually all casing/bottom cap thread dimensions. It's taken years, but has been and continues to be great fun and we feel we're helping fellow brass musicians worldwide. High quality and good customer service are our cornerstones. It won't make us rich and that's not the object of the exercise, but we're helping - and that's the object of the exercise.

In development are HBCs for Baritones (a REAL challenge due to the minimal gap between the lower face of the standard bottom cap and the pipework) and for Tubas.

Hope all this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200904_0001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	117734

Comment

• DaveBj
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Chris Waters View Post
                              Hello from us at HBC here in Blighty!
                              This forum needs a *like* button.

D
                              David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
                              2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
                              2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
                              2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
                              Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
                              Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Comment

Working...
                              X