Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: HBC Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Sorry to ask this, but how long did it take for you folk in the States to get your caps? I placed an order back in July and am still waiting. I have made inquiries on the contact page of their web site and left a couple PM’s here for Chris but received no response. Dave, if this post is out of bounds I apologize and will understand if you delete it. I am just trying to figure out if a close to two month wait is normal.
    Sorry to hear this Mike. We'll send another one on Monday and forward you the Tracking Number as we now send everything "Tracked. All the best, Chris

Both my original HBC and the inset piece arrived in very good time.
    Faster, in fact, than I had expected!
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

3. Following on to my own question, I received an e-mail from Chris this morning with tracking number, along with a good-natured reminder that the cap is on approval for a month..
    I placed the order Friday the 4th and it was posted Thursday the 10th. It left the UK on Saturday the 12th, not wanting to wait around and watch the rest of the league butcher my Baggies.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Waters View Post
    Thank you; we do try our best! Hope your HBC is performing well. All the best, Chris
    PM sent.

John
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I’ve taken the HBC off my round stamp and it transformed the playing characteristics back to what I loved about it. The higher register isn’t quite as easy, but the sound has reverted to a fuller one. The intonation isn’t quite as good up high, but in the middle lower register (middle F to pedal Bb) has returned to its former warmth.

A better sound in the register I spend most of the time is preferable to easier high Eb.

Octave slurs are easier without the cap, and middle - lower register notes are easy to produce.

A worthwhile experiment but not one I have benefitted from.

Quote Originally Posted by Magikarp View Post
    I’ve taken the HBC off my round stamp and it transformed the playing characteristics back to what I loved about it. The higher register isn’t quite as easy, but the sound has reverted to a fuller one. The intonation isn’t quite as good up high, but in the middle lower register (middle F to pedal Bb) has returned to its former warmth.

A better sound in the register I spend most of the time is preferable to easier high Eb.

Octave slurs are easier without the cap, and middle - lower register notes are easy to produce.

A worthwhile experiment but not one I have benefitted from.
    Hello! Thanks for your comments. Sorry the HBC is not for you and do please return the HBC for a full refund if desired.

Hi Chris, I will be keeping hold of the HBC because I’d assume that playing at full force in a band might yield different results to more diffident tooting at home. The service from your company has been exceptional , and the quality of the product similarly excellent.

I’ll pass it on to a friend who also has a round stamp to see what he thinks. He’s a much more accomplished player than I am so it might suit him.

Thanks very much; we do our best and the two keynotes are high quality HBCs and good customer service. Glad it shines through. Well done for passing-on your HBC to a friend and a very kind thought. All the best, Chris HBC

9. I wanted to mention that once Chris became aware of my problem he made sure things were put right in a hurry. Thanks, Chris. I will report on my impressions of the cap once I have some time with it.

10. My HBC arrived yesterday. Instrument is Eb Besson Sov. Tenorhorn, 2008 so German if I understand it right. I've had it a few months and it is in excellent working order.

File me with Magikarp on everything but the conclusion. Yes, the high register is easier. Yes the lower register feels less warm. But I'm leaving the HBC attached until I get killed or find something better.

Speaking only for myself, I think the immediate improvement up top more than compensates for what I think is a perceptible change lower--and I'm hoping the low notes just need more practice. Well, everything needs more practice but you know what I mean. I have convinced myself that the improved slotting midrange/up high is well worth what is for now a small trade off.

As a final thought, I'm convinced the change is real. I'm a believer. But if an acoustic physicist logged on and was able to prove by the numbers that this is snake oil, I'd certainly read his argument. I'm just a mathematician, and this kind of applied physics is beyond my expertise. If this is just a security blanket, I'd like that proven to me. For now, I'm sold that it has incrementally improved my music. Given their returns policy, I'd recommend you try an HBC for yourself if you haven't already.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast