Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: HBC Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Speaking only for myself, I think the immediate improvement up top more than compensates for what I think is a perceptible change lower--and I'm hoping the low notes just need more practice. Well, everything needs more practice but you know what I mean. I have convinced myself that the improved slotting midrange/up high is well worth what is for now a small trade off.
    Along those lines, keep in mind that switching caps is pretty easy and doesn't affect your chops like switching a mouthpiece. So if a particular piece might seem to benefit from the standard cap, you can switch! It's a whole lot easier than switching horns like trumpet and tuba players sometimes do.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    My HBC arriveth tomorrow, me thinks. It is half way through South Dakota today, and I am in the other half. Anxious to try it. I already liked the heavy cap I borrowed from Doug Ruby.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    My HBC arriveth tomorrow, me thinks. It is half way through South Dakota today, and I am in the other half. Anxious to try it. I already liked the heavy cap I borrowed from Doug Ruby.
    Will you use it on both your Adams and your Dolce?
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post
    Will you use it on both your Adams and your Dolce?
    Good question. I know the HBC I am getting will fit the Adams. Not so sure about the Dolce. [Timeout] Just back from checking to see if the standard Adams bottom cap for the 4th valve is interchangeable with the Wessex. Surprise, to me, they are interchangeable. So, I suppose I can use the HBC on both the Adams and Wessex. I sure liked the result I got on my Adams after borrowing a heavy bottom cap from Doug Ruby. I don't use the Wessex too much, so not sure if I will bother changing the 4th valve bottom cap, but if I need to send the Adams in for something and need the Wessex for a while, I probably would use it on the Wessex.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Great comments Shawn and glad the 3rd HBC is working for you. As retired geezers here in Blighty who are both engineers and brass players, we're happily providing a high quality product and as fast service as we can. The One Month approval is a useful safety net for all players. I guess the old Blighty saying "The proof of the pudding is in the eating" also works for the pudding and blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    My HBC arrived yesterday. Instrument is Eb Besson Sov. Tenorhorn, 2008 so German if I understand it right. I've had it a few months and it is in excellent working order.

File me with Magikarp on everything but the conclusion. Yes, the high register is easier. Yes the lower register feels less warm. But I'm leaving the HBC attached until I get killed or find something better.

Speaking only for myself, I think the immediate improvement up top more than compensates for what I think is a perceptible change lower--and I'm hoping the low notes just need more practice. Well, everything needs more practice but you know what I mean. I have convinced myself that the improved slotting midrange/up high is well worth what is for now a small trade off.

As a final thought, I'm convinced the change is real. I'm a believer. But if an acoustic physicist logged on and was able to prove by the numbers that this is snake oil, I'd certainly read his argument. I'm just a mathematician, and this kind of applied physics is beyond my expertise. If this is just a security blanket, I'd like that proven to me. For now, I'm sold that it has incrementally improved my music. Given their returns policy, I'd recommend you try an HBC for yourself if you haven't already.

Is anyone else having trouble getting an email response with hbc? They accidentally sent me a German besson valve cap instead of am older JP one and although they gave me a full refund they said they'd sent me the right one the 15th, but I have not gotten an email from him since then and have emailed him constantly to get a response.

Dear All, Sincerest of apologies. We had a family bereavement last week so life got put on hold. We are back now and all orders and Besson thread problems (Edgware/Germany) were sent on Wednesday and Thursday of this week, with Post Office Tracking Numbers sent today as confirmation and the remainder tomorrow. Apologies again and all the Blighty best, Chris

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345