Thread: ID'ing old Besson

1. ID'ing old Besson

Anyone know what model Besson I have? Serial number 361343 places it being made in 1966, I think. Bell section detaches, and it is compensating. Tried to attach a photo, but apparently I can't from mobile site. Thanks for any enlightenment, and for your patience toward this newbie to the site!

I don't know the model number, but Besson made a couple similar horns. One had front valves (like an American baritone/euphonium) and the other had side valves. Rumor around that time was that Besson wanted to get more of a hold in the USA market and figured we all wanted bells that curved forward.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I don't know the model number, but Besson made a couple similar horns. One had front valves (like an American baritone/euphonium) and the other had side valves. Rumor around that time was that Besson wanted to get more of a hold in the USA market and figured we all wanted bells that curved forward.
    This particular horn seems to be set up like an English euphonium, not like the American band baritones. It is definitely bigger than those baritones. It has the bell and the leadpipe on the left side, with the three valves upright in the center bracket and the compensating valve sticking out on the right side, having the left arm wrapping around the front in order to play the compensating valve. It is a true compensating valve, btw. Save for the curved detachable bell section, it looks, feels like, plays like a true euphonium, and the receptacle takes a larger-bore mouthpiece.

Thanks again for your help!

// Mike

4. I just found a photo of the horn on a website...identified only as a compensating euphonium made by Besson in the 1970s. https://george.the-nails.com/brass.htm

5. Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Anyone know what model Besson I have? Serial number 361343 places it being made in 1966, I think. Bell section detaches, and it is compensating. Tried to attach a photo, but apparently I can't from mobile site. Thanks for any enlightenment, and for your patience toward this newbie to the site!
    Finally, here's a photo:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Euphonium.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	264.3 KB 
ID:	7947

That's one of the models I saw, but I don't know the number. It was a New Standard / Imperial instrument, but with a detachable, curved bell. I did a little searching and came up empty for a model number, but it may be out there somewhere on the Internet!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

7. Awesome, Dave, and thanks for the insight. Are you able to offer any advice as to where I might send this for an overhaul (or whether I should bother, as it plays very well as is)? While I love the instrument, I am thinking of selling it, to get it in good hands sooner than later.

// Mike Bennett
    Salt Lake City

For good repair shops, you could start here and find a good one in a state not far away, hopefully. So far we have none listed for Utah:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/forumdi...ps-by-Location

I'm asking a friend in the U.K. about the model number. We'll see if he knows it.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

I have a similar instrument, but the 3V compensating version. I also gave up trying to find a model number, but it's basically the same thing as the New Standard of the same time period with a tiny few exceptions.

1) Obviously, the entire bell branch is different starting at what would be the final ferrule on the New Standard.
    2) Not so obviously, the bell is larger! 12" bell!
    3) Different leadpipe. Really dreadful compared to the New Standard. Sits much lower and aims straight backwards. The receiver is also shorter, for whatever that's worth.

Differences between mine and yours. Not sure how many of these differences are due to mine being the 3Ver or just age difference?

1) 3V has the basic finger buttons from the model 2-20, even though it has the New Standard valve caps.
    2) Only 2 bell screws. Front and back.

Receiver is what most manufacturers refer to as Euro shank (Besson medium shank).

Should you fix it up? Depends on how much it will cost you. Besson Euphoniums always draw a premium and it's pretty tough to do better than a classic 4V compensating Besson. On the other hand, there's I reason I'm able to own one. The forward bell models aren't nearly as popular and so they're not worth as much. But like you said, your horn is already in really good condition. The coloration is really good and it's not beat to heck. As is, you should be able to get a buyer.
    Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.

I heard back from the U.K. A very reliable source there says Besson never assigned a model number to these horns! Maybe that's why it is so hard to find one!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)