Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry Valve Issue

Dry Valve Issue

If there is a post that addresses dry valves please do point me toward it.

The issues is when I do not play every day the 1st valve becomes dry.
    I re-apply Blue Juice it is fine. Other valves seem to work OK.
    Time period of not playing is one day. Typically skip practicing on Sunday.
    Live on the Texas Gulf Coast so humidity is sometimes an issue.
    When I am through practicing I pull all the slides and shake the condensation out.
    Store the horn in the case and set the case so the bell is pointed down.
    Inspection of the valve, valve casing, bottom cap, and slides do not show any kind of build up.

This issue is with an old Jupiter JEP-470.

Don't know if I am making a basic care mistake or what.

Your comments are welcome.

Art M.

One of the things that can cause valves to dry out very quickly is a large amount of mineral scale on the piston. When's the last time you had a chemical cleaning done?
    --
    Barry

3. Usual reason is it needs a thorough cleaning.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

Barry's suggestion is a good one, but I'd like to eliminate a couple basic possibilities.

1. When you say #1 is dry, do you mean it feels dry when you remove it and touch the piston, or do you mean it is not moving smoothly?

2. When you say you store it with the bell pointing down, do you mean the orientation is horizontal with the bell side down and the mouthpiece side up? Or do you mean it is oriented vertically with the bell pointing down?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. I have had the exact same issue as you for years on a number of different horns. The issues is that the 1st valve gets the most moisture and debris build up since it is the 1st in the airstream. This both washes out the Blue Juiice quicker and also builds up a lime/calcium deposit quicker which makes the valve feel dry and sticky when the valve oil gets thin.

1. The horn should NOT be stored "on the bell" with the bell pointing down. This causes all the bad stuff to drain back into the valves. Ideal is store the horn on a euphonium stand with bell point straight up. Even sideways in the case is not ideal, but if you do store in the case, have the leadpipe and bell up and 3rd valve down. The least amount of goup will collect in the 1st valve this way.

2. Take the 1st valve out (and spring and bottom cap) and "snake" the leadpipe from the inside (valve) toward the receiver. I use a brass-saver swab for this. This removes crud from the leadpipe which often is the most common source of goup.

3. I not only clean my 1st valve more frequently, but every once in while (2 months or so) I use a very fine silver polish (Wrights Silver Cream) to LIGHTLY polish and remove the built up lime scale on the surface of the valve. This is the most common reason for the "dryness" that you experience. Wash the valve off thoroughly after this!!!

4. Blue Juice will wash out quite quickly in the 1st valve (which gets the most direct moisture). Occasionally (once every 1-2 weeks) I use a valve oil that leaves more residue on the valve such as Hetman #1 when I put the horn away. This doesn't dry out the way Blue Juice does. Then I use Blue Juice thereafter to get the slick smooth action i like.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

It feels dry to the touch and is slow come back to the top.
    Oriented vertically with the bell pointed down.

Thank you I will follow the advice.
    For what it is worth I put new piston in (lapped ect) and had the same issue. Put the old piston back in.
    Your description of cleaning makes it very clear I should be doing it as you stated.

I think a chemical cleaning was last done in 1025 (ouch).

Thank You everyone for the assistance.
    I now know what I need to do to correct my issue.

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    3. ...every once in while (2 months or so) I use a very fine silver polish (Wrights Silver Cream) to LIGHTLY polish and remove the built up lime scale on the surface of the valve. This is the most common reason for the "dryness" that you experience. Wash the valve off thoroughly after this!!!
    I also have to thank Doug for mentioning this. I've done this now and then and have known about for decades. However, I just cleaned my horn a couple weeks ago because I had valve sluggishness (and the horn was well ready for a cleaning in general!). But the valve problems only got slightly better. I was all set to take all my gear outside and go through it all again when I saw Doug's item #3. That kicked my brain in gear, which it has not been since the shutdown began. Guess what! The polishing fixed the problem!

FWIW I used this polish, which is gentle enough to not damage the valve surface:

https://www.amazon.com/Flitz-Plastic.../dp/B000MUSOW4

There are also some stainless steel cleaners on the market, but I'm afraid of those. I'm not sure they don't contain chemicals that could be hard on the brass passages within the piston or might transfer to the brass casing. The Flitz seems pretty safe, as long as you clean the valve with soap and water when you have polished the surface.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flitz.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	7941
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden