Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry Valve Issue

1. Dave,

I learned the polishing trick from my Dad, a Univ. of Michigan grad and HS and Middle School band director for almost 40 years. Every horn I have ever played or owned since high school has had piston valves cleaned once or twice a year to get the scale off.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

2. Quote Originally Posted by Euph2015 View Post
    Oriented vertically with the bell pointed down.
    Worst way to store a horn. All the water and crud in the slides and at the bottom of each piston will slide back into the part of the valve where the piston wants to rub against the valve body. Think of your car engine running with pistons going up and down, lubricated by filtered oil. All of the combustion byproducts and dirt gets washed out of the engine and washed into the crankcase before it is then pumped through the oil filter and recirculated back through the engine. If your car worked like you describe storing your horn, the engine would turn upside down when you park the car and all of the dirty oil would drain back into each cylinder. All of the gunk and crud accumulated in the bottom of the oil pan would be allowed to contaminate the rubbing surface of each piston and its rings. Yuck!

If you store the horn in the case, put it in the case and store it in the horizontal with the bell and receiver "up". This is the natural position of almost all upright euphonium cases. Never put your horn on its bell if you can help it. Makes it easier to damage the bell and re-contaminate the pistons. If you have a euphonium stand in your home, storing the horn upright, out of the case, on the stand until you need to transport it is the best bet.

Doug

P.S. I have two euphonium stands, one for each horn. I store the horns on the stands in my practice room with towels in the bell to keep dust and random other things out. I use gig bags for both horns and always lay the horn on its side when I put it down at a rehearsal. Usually in the case on a secure surface.
    Last edited by daruby; 09-01-2020 at 04:22 PM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I'll just reinforce what Doug said - the bottoms-up position for the valves is a very bad idea!

Here is my review of the stand I use. Very convenient and secure once it is adjusted, and it won't interfere with triggers, hand straps, etc.

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...uphonium-Stand
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12