Thread: Euph Springs

Euph Springs

Hi all, I'm thinking about purchasing some of the Mead Springs as a replacement for the original springs on my 1986 B&H Imperial Besson, are there any pros and cons I should look out for?

For most people, I think the Mead Light springs would be the most satisfactory choice. But if you like stiff springs (strong hands, and quick fingers) the regular Mead springs will be best. For me, even though I like a strong spring, the standard Mead set was too much in my Sterling and Adams horns. However, they are still in those 2 brands because there is a little less clearance between the piston and the bottom valve cap. The fit would be better in a Besson, but many have complained that the standard springs are too stiff for them.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by tkernea04 View Post
    Hi all, I'm thinking about purchasing some of the Mead Springs as a replacement for the original springs on my 1986 B&H Imperial Besson, are there any pros and cons I should look out for?
    Soon after I got my Mack Brass (JinBao) horn, I started using Yamaha springs. The coating on those springs tended to slough off, requiring thorough cleaning of my valves. About a year ago I bought the Mead Springs - the light version - and I've found them to retain their original state. The Mead springs are quiet and give me the right amount of resistance and speed. I did have to wait a while for them to come into stock, however.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

I replaced my stock springs in my 1979 B&H Sovereign with standard Mead Springs and I love them. I did need to put the rubber spring dampers in the bottom caps and under the valves so they fit properly, so you might want to make sure you order some along with the springs just to make sure they fit correctly. Steven Mead sells them on his webshop as well as the springs.
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

I have had the standard Mead springs on my horn for several years and really like them. I honestly can't think of any cons in my experience. They were a huge improvement over the stock springs that came with my Schiller. They are quiet and I like the tension/strength of them. My valves were kind of bouncy with the stock springs, and the Mead springs made me feel like I had more control over fast or awkward passages because there was no extra bounce as I played.

I do not use use any sort of rubber spring dampers with mine.
    Last edited by aroberts781; 08-25-2020 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Typos

6. I have a JP-374ST and use mead light springs. After cleaning my instrument I have found that the springs vibrate while playing. The diameter of the spring is too small and is not seating but sitting on top. I've tried putting tuba springs in but they are too big. What size springs are in this instrument?