Thread: FS: 2011 Sterling Virtuoso w/ gold trim, trigger, and heavy 4th valve cap

1. FS: 2011 Sterling Virtuoso w/ gold trim, trigger, and heavy 4th valve cap

It is with great reluctance that I am selling my 2011 (manufactured in March 2011 to be precise, per Sterling owner Paul Rigget) Sterling Virtuoso euphonium. It is a terrific instrument and I've used it in several solo settings but I cannot justify keeping it and having an Adams euphonium as well.

The Sterling Virtuoso has gold trim, a trigger, and a heavy 4th valve cap. I think it has a red brass bell but I cannot say with certainty. The receiver has been replaced with what I believe to be a Hirsbrunner receiver because the original receiver would not seat any mouthpiece without the mouthpiece moving around a bit. The first valve cylinder has been lapped due an incident when excessive force was placed on tubing that connects to the cylinder. The first valve works perfectly fine, but you can't freely twist/rotate it in the cylinder. The instrument is essentially dent free with very little scratching. I've taken a ton of pictures that I've included for you to see the condition of the instrument. I'm happy to provide more pictures if requested.

The Sterling Virtuoso includes a Soundwear soft case, which has straps that allows you to tote the instrument backpack-style. I'm asking $4,000, and would prefer to have the payment sent via PayPal if possible -- a payment method I've used in previous euphonium sales.

Feel free to PM with questions or email jkircoff AT gmail DOT com.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2299.JPEG   IMG_2300.JPEG   IMG_2303.JPEG   IMG_2304.JPEG   IMG_2305.JPEG  

IMG_2306.JPEG   IMG_2307.JPEG   IMG_2308.JPEG   IMG_2309.JPEG   IMG_2310.JPEG  

IMG_2311.JPEG   IMG_2312.JPEG   IMG_2313.JPEG   IMG_2314.JPEG   IMG_2315.JPEG  

IMG_2316.JPEG   IMG_2317.JPEG   IMG_2318.JPEG   IMG_2319.JPEG   IMG_2320.JPEG  

IMG_2321.JPEG   IMG_2322.JPEG   IMG_2323.JPEG   IMG_2324.JPEG   IMG_2325.JPEG  

IMG_2326.JPEG  
    Last edited by jkircoff; 09-08-2020 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Updated price and description.
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

2. James,

Very nice. Incredibly similar to my 2009 Sterling, except you have the new style trigger assembly. You appear to also have the Bauerfeind valves which is a good thing. I had to have my receiver replaced as well. I pointed out the issue to Paul Riggett around 2011/12 and he found out that his machinist had been using a worn die to cut the receiver taper. He got a new machinist. He then mailed me a new receiver which I had Osmun Music install for me. The result was a perfect fit and it is almost undetectable.

A couple of questions:

1. What is the bell size? It should be either 300mm, 305mm, or 310mm. This is 11.8", 12", or 12,2".
    2. Why not keep both? I use both of my horns (kind of depends on my feeling at the time). Plus I am sentimental. With my name engraved on it, I cannot get myself up to selling my Sterling.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

3. Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    James,

Very nice. Incredibly similar to my 2009 Sterling, except you have the new style trigger assembly. You appear to also have the Bauerfeind valves which is a good thing. I had to have my receiver replaced as well. I pointed out the issue to Paul Riggett around 2011/12 and he found out that his machinist had been using a worn die to cut the receiver taper. He got a new machinist. He then mailed me a new receiver which I had Osmun Music install for me. The result was a perfect fit and it is almost undetectable.

A couple of questions:

1. What is the bell size? It should be either 300mm, 305mm, or 310mm. This is 11.8", 12", or 12,2".
    2. Why not keep both? I use both of my horns (kind of depends on my feeling at the time). Plus I am sentimental. With my name engraved on it, I cannot get myself up to selling my Sterling.

Doug
    Thanks for your input Doug (and apologies for the delay in getting back with you).

To answer your questions:

1) It's a 12" bell.
    2) I cannot personally justify keeping two professional level euphoniums. It's a shame to me the Sterling is more or less a "backup" because of my personal preference playing the Adams. An instrument like my Sterling should be played - and played frequently!
    James Kircoff
    Genesee Wind Symphony - principal euphonium (Adams E3 Custom .60mm yellow brass bell w/ K&G 3.5)
    Capital City Brass Band (2019 NABBA 2nd section champions) - 1st baritone (Besson BE956 w/ Denis Wick 6BY)

4. *Bump* -- price dropped to $4,000.
    James Kircoff