Thread: Tonguing in the lower register.

Tonguing in the lower register.

Hey! I am practicing a piece that requires you to double tongue a middle C, or Bb bass, and Im having issues with clarity. Any way to improve this?
    Wessex Dolce Euphonium - SM4U
    Jupiter JSL 740 Bass Trombone

Practice often, Practice well!

Dom

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    Hey! I am practicing a piece that requires you to double tongue a middle C, or Bb bass, and Im having issues with clarity. Any way to improve this?
    I assume you are talking about the treble clef C that is on the first ledger line below the staff (or bass clef Bb on the 2nd line of the staff). What I do to get clarity and evenness in my double tonging, no matter what the range, is to practice the note doing a single tonguing approach with the "ku" syllable. In other words, instead of single tonging a C using "tu" as the only syllable, work on single tonguing the C using "ku" as the only syllable. Then play a series of "tu" single tongued notes, followed by a series of "ku" single tongued notes. This helps the "tu" and "ku" to "speak" and sound clear and exactly alike.

As you go lower and lower on the horn, it does get more difficult to tongue clear and cleanly, whether it is single, double or triple tonguing. What I would do to get the C clear is to practice double tonguing say 4 or 8 notes on the C an octave above, then go down chromatically to the lower C, double tonguing each note 4 or 8 times. Also, play the lower C by doing what I explained in the paragraph above. Start slow and go for a good clear, crisp sound on each note.

Another kind of truism when practicing and learning. If you want to achieve a high C (Bb bass clef) as your ultimate high note, then practice so that you can play a couple or three notes above that, and the C will be that much better. Same for tonguing in the lower register. If you want to be able to double tongue a C (Bb bass clef) below the staff, then double tongue down a couple or three notes below that. If you can get there, the C will sound that much better.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 08-16-2020 at 09:53 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    If you want to be able to double tongue a C (Bb bass clef) below the staff, then double tongue down a couple or three notes below that. If you can get there, the C will sound that much better.
    YES!! Excellent point.

This is a bit of a tangent, but if you would like a model for double-tonguing, check out this recording. It is part of a set of bugle call that Harry Glantz (NY Phil, among other orchs) recorded. I assume he did it officially for the Army in the early 1900's-ish. I had uploaded this one to YouTube as a fun little quiz for my Coast Guard friends. This bugle call is used in the breakup strain of the Coast Guard's official march, Semper Paratus. JOHN: do you know this one? I suspect it was not used by the time you were in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTsX1st1mUQ

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    In looking at the Army Bugle Calls, this one does not seem to be on the list. I don't recognize it, but that doesn't mean much, because a lot of the bugle calls sort of resemble a lot of the other bugle calls. I know a lot of them quite well, and some of the others, not so much.

Speaking of bugle calls. I was in the Boy Scouts when my Dad was stationed in Germany (he was a career Army guy - West Pointer). I started on trumpet when in Germany and after playing for a couple years, I got the call to be the bugler for a big Boy Scout Jamboree (I think that was the word) one year, not because I was particularly good, more like because I was the only one they had. So when the big moment came for me to play, I think, To the Color, I started off and almost immediately I noticed that I needed to empty my spit valve. But I was already so nervous playing in front of hundreds of scouts and leaders, that I didn't have the savvy to just empty it at the end of a phrase real quick. Instead, I played through the whole thing, gurgling the whole time. I was beyond mortified. My most unmemorable musical moment indeed.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 08-16-2020 at 09:55 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    In looking at the Army Bugle Calls, this one does not seem to be on the list. I don't recognize it, but that doesn't mean much, because a lot of the bugle calls sort of resemble a lot of the other bugle calls. I know a lot of them quite well, and some of the others, not so much.
    The CG Band recorded a full set of current bugle calls in the early 1980's I think...and this one was not on there. No surprise. It is "Stable Call."
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)